Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: malts with smooth or interesting roast qualities  (Read 6709 times)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: malts with smooth or interesting roast qualities
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:10 pm »
Patagonia Perla Negra Light is pretty unique.  In fairly small quantities (2-5%) it comes across kind of pretzel-like, and can become too much in the 5-10% range (at least in non-black beers).  It has a unique character for sure; it's kind of a "super toasty" malt without stepping into the roast department.  Not much bitterness or astringency from it since it's huskless.  Probably the closest thing I could compare it to would be pale chocolate, or pale choc mixed with amber malt.  I have not tried the Medium or Dark varieties of Perla Negra.

Homemade torrified wheat can add a subtle toast quality to a beer in decent proportions (~10-15%) without becoming too much, and it's very easy to make in an air popper.  Add about 1/2-3/4 cup to the popper, turn it on, wait for the kernels to pop, dump on cookie sheet to cool.  Takes <1 minute per 4-6 oz.

Homemade torrified rye is in the same "super toast" ballpark as the perla negra above.  It imparts a big toasty quality that's probably most similar to brown malt (plus popcorn).  Make it the same way as torrified wheat but it takes about 3x as long (~3 minutes per batch) because the kernel just take that much time before the "pop".  I'm sure the extra toastiness is due to the extra time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:28:06 pm by stpug »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »
OK, now I'm lost.  There's brown malt.  Then there's at least three different types (in L) of chocolate malt NOT counting rye and wheat.  And there's also three grades of Carafa Special.

Just looking for opinions. I am planning on carafa special I because I don't need the color and like it. The other "roasted" malt is TBD. I am not pertaining to any style. The malts I originally listed were just some ideas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:20:55 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »
I usually use chocolate or pale chocolate for my brown ales. That seems to get me the faint roast character I'm looking for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:54 am »
I'm into subtle, like chocolate malt and agree that chocolate wheat and rye are nice.
I have noticed that in the last few years the American urge to have more, more, more has led commercial brown ales to taste like porters, porters to taste like stouts, and stouts to taste like sweet ashtrays. I guess I'm a less is more guy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:26:02 am »
I'm into subtle, like chocolate malt and agree that chocolate wheat and rye are nice.
I have noticed that in the last few years the American urge to have more, more, more has led commercial brown ales to taste like porters, porters to taste like stouts, and stouts to taste like sweet ashtrays. I guess I'm a less is more guy.

That is kind of my thought. I had a brown ale that was just amazing the other day which was kind of the inspiration. It had a mild roast and chocolate character and was super smooth. It was also lighter in color which is how I remember brown ales when I used to drink them regularly a long time ago.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 08:48:33 am »

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 09:01:15 am »
Carafa I or II and Briess Midnight wheat and Black Prinz are all good subtle roast malts. Blend together with some quality Dark Munich (like Best Dark Munich II) seems to enhance the richness. Also a fan of chocolate wheat and chocolate malt. Subtle touches of roasted barley or black malt can add to the coffee or chocolate character without overwhelming the smoothness if used with a light touch.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 09:30:37 am »
Thanks for all of the help.

The base of the beer will be Munich 9L with a couple of pounds of pilsner. I am thinking the grain other than carafa will have "chocolate" in the name. I have really liked chocolate rye the couple of times I have used it so might go that direction.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:04 am »
OK, now I'm lost.  There's brown malt.  Then there's at least three different types (in L) of chocolate malt NOT counting rye and wheat.  And there's also three grades of Carafa Special.

Just looking for opinions. I am planning on carafa special I because I don't need the color and like it. The other "roasted" malt is TBD. I am not pertaining to any style. The malts I originally listed were just some ideas.
This topic is great and I'm hoping to learn from it.  I'm lost because folks are posting " X% chocolate in a porter gives a smooth...".  WHICH chocolate???
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:35 am »

This topic is great and I'm hoping to learn from it.  I'm lost because folks are posting " X% chocolate in a porter gives a smooth...".  WHICH chocolate???
My standard brown ale recipe uses 4oz of Fawcett Pale Chocolate in a 3 gallon batch. It gives just a touch of chocolate/coffee flavor and roast without pushing it into porter territory. The rest of the color comes from a darker crystal malt.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:34 am »

My standard brown ale recipe uses 4oz of Fawcett Pale Chocolate in a 3 gallon batch. It gives just a touch of chocolate/coffee flavor and roast without pushing it into porter territory. The rest of the color comes from a darker crystal malt.

Yeah, sorry Phil. For my part as to using chocolate in my American Brown, I generally use Briess or Simpson's chocolate. Simpson's is a little roastier and overall better IMO, but I use both interchangeably in terms of %. Briess is good, though.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 02:58:02 pm »

Maybe I should consider this direction. What percentage of Pale Chocolate are you using?

I have used chocolate rye at 4 oz in 5 gallons of an amber colored beer and it was much more noticeable than I expected but in a good way.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:59 pm »

Maybe I should consider this direction. What percentage of Pale Chocolate are you using?

I have used chocolate rye at 4 oz in 5 gallons of an amber colored beer and it was much more noticeable than I expected but in a good way.

The most simple way I brew it is 85% MO, 10% Dark Crystal and 5% Pale Chocolate. I also brew an oatmeal-vanilla brown ale where I sub about 8% of the MO for flaked oats and add a split/scraped vanilla bean in secondary. Both are nice everyday pints.
Eric B.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 03:43:03 am »
I like briess extra special roast the flavor profile changes as the % in your grain bill increases.  You can check their web site for specifics but as I remember

5-8%. Get coffee & dried fruit like prunes

8-10% coffee & toffee notes

10-15%. More intense coffee and roasted flavors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »
Regarding brown malt, I used 4% of it along with 4% English black malt, and 8% roasted barley in an oatmeal stout.  I got several good comments on it at my local brew club meeting.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!