Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This Week's Brulosophy Experiment  (Read 7106 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: This Week's Brulosophy Experiment
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:35 am »
I can pick out a Cream Ale from a CDA, about 25% of the time.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 12:00:46 pm »
Take your sunglasses off in the bar.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »
Doh! I'll work on that

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 12:14:33 pm »

;D 
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
So... No measure of kettle pH or the final beer pH? 

It's interesting that the conversion was fine at that pH.   Enzymes are forgiving.

Malted barley WANTS to become beer

Barley HATES being anthropromorphized
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »
So... No measure of kettle pH or the final beer pH? 

It's interesting that the conversion was fine at that pH.   Enzymes are forgiving.

Malted barley WANTS to become beer

Barley HATES being anthropromorphized
Well played sir

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:15 pm »
*Sits here quite, cause I can detect 1-2points difference in attenuation, a mash pH difference of .1, roastmalt % of .25%, etc, etc** :o

lol.

Offline drunkinThailand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 06:13:29 am »
*Sits here quite, cause I can detect 1-2points difference in attenuation, a mash pH difference of .1, roastmalt % of .25%, etc, etc** :o

i hope you're "quite" as drunk as me, and didn't mean quiet.  cuz then i'd know you're bulls***ting, and i'd be quite sure.

ps i didn't put in those *** it put them in for me.  i'm quite drunk to be doing that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:15:04 am by drunkinThailand »

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 07:15:20 am »

i hope you're "quite" as drunk as me, and didn't mean quiet.  cuz then i'd know you're bulls***ting, and i'd be quite sure.

ps i didn't put in those *** it put them in for me.  i'm quite drunk to be doing that.

Until you brew some low oxygen beers, I wouldn't be quite so sure.  ;D  :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:17:42 am by The Beerery »

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:12 am »

I laughed at detecting a 1 percent change in attenuation too. I though he was making a joke until I saw his recent post.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 11:42:29 am »
I'm at work and not able to do the math, anyone care to calculate how much DME it take to change the gravity of a cup of water .001 . I would love to weigh it out and see the taste difference between that and a cup of water raised .002. I will deoxygenate my water so that I don't oxidize anything. :)

The Beerery

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 11:46:30 am »
I'm at work and not able to do the math, anyone care to calculate how much DME it take to change the gravity of a cup of water .001 . I would love to weigh it out and see the taste difference between that and a cup of water raised .002. I will deoxygenate my water so that I don't oxidize anything. :)

DME is already oxidated  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:21 am »

1.5 oz. in 5 gal. gives you .001 SG.  That's 80 cups.  So you'd divide 1.5 by 80, right?  That means .01875 oz. per cup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 11:52:52 am »

1.5 oz. in 5 gal. gives you .001 SG.  That's 80 cups.  So you'd divide 1.5 by 80, right?  That means .01875 oz. per cup.

according to my conversion app on my phone, that means 0.531554 grams. I think my scale is accurate to .01 grams. I can pick up some red Dixie cups and do a triangle test. Heck, maybe I'll get friends and families in on it.

Big Monk

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »

according to my conversion app on my phone, that means 0.531554 grams. I think my scale is accurate to .01 grams. I can pick up some red Dixie cups and do a triangle test. Heck, maybe I'll get friends and families in on it.

So happy you guys found each other.