Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: On brewing and art, or what sort of brewer I am  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: On brewing and art, or what sort of brewer I am
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »
I'm moving to Denver and I've made a few work trips up there...They have better beer in the store than I am making...not true here in Texas...I am going to have to up my game or resign myself to paying premium for premium...

Can you get a 30 pack of Lone Star?  I had a night on that stuff years ago.  Woo!

Ain't been brewing lately and have been paying more for beer than usual.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:14 pm »
My boys love to help brew, and the little girls are getting big enough, too.  Everybody has to throw hops in, everybody had to have a turn stirring the mash, etc.  Sometimes, they actually do useful things like holding the funnel or whatnot, but by and large, it's fun to have them involved.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »
My eldest used to like to help filling kegs.  If I turned my back she poured it on the floor.

The little guy likes to help bottle for competition.

Beyond that I'm usually on my own.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
I'm an engineer so the things I enjoy most about brewing are the things I enjoy most about engineering: I get a thrill taking something directly from a textbook on brewing, making it a reality in the Brewhouse, and seeing the results pan out at the end of the process.

I prefer the cold and clinical in a certain sense to the artistic. I think brewing is less about an esoteric melding of artistic qualities and more about a strict adherence to technical principles. I enjoy the latter much more than the former given my background. Math and science are king for me even in light of the fact that I enjoy cinema, music, and other artistically driven things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engineering is inherently creative though. Like how an artist is bound by the limitations of their medium, we're bound by the laws of physics. The only real difference is an artist doesn't always know where they'll end up, but they know how they'll get there. Engineers (and some technicians) know what they want, but initially we've no idea how to get there.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.