Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OG very high...  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Oh Crap

• 1st Kit
OG very high...
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:48:53 am »
Hi all
I was brewing my house pale ale this morning and I got a very high OG 1.061
I step mashed from 123f for 30 mins then rose temp (using berms) to 152.5f for 30 mins then mash out at 170f 10 mins, sparged with 20.5 L at 173.5.
I was 2.5 Litres short in the kettle due to human error 😜
Grist
2.5 kg Maris otter
2.5 kg Vienna
.075 acid malt
Ph was 5.35
My usual efficiency was 75%, according to these figures I got 104% efficiency 😂
 hydrometer is calibrate in water seems correct (re checked) refractometer reads the same...unless I added too much grain...possible but..... I'm at a loss
If I added 1kg too much my efficiency would be 87% surely not (taking into account lower boil volume)
Any ideas or suggestions as to what might have happened
BEER.... 1 is good, 2 are better, 3 is enough and 4 isn't half enough

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: OG very high...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:59 am »
If you were 2.5 litres short in the kettle, that's probably your answer right there.  Your wort is more concentrated than usual.  Same amount of sugar, less water, higher gravity.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:58 am »
If you were 2.5 litres short in the kettle, that's probably your answer right there.  Your wort is more concentrated than usual.  Same amount of sugar, less water, higher gravity.

Yup.
Jon H.

Offline Oh Crap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:47:51 pm »

Yup.
It was 13pts too high...
After back tracing....my error...weighing the grain, mistook display....read 1kg not 2kg, emptied into bucket and weighed the extra 1.5kg. (I weighed out more grain to check)
So the shortfall in the kettle + the 1.5kg extra grain gets me to the new gravity...cheers lads
BEER.... 1 is good, 2 are better, 3 is enough and 4 isn't half enough

Offline johnwpowell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:51 pm »
Just add water at the end to bring the OG where it needs to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:29:48 pm »
You could do that but you may find the beer is lacking in body.   Maybe bring it down to a higher then normal abv,  but use caution diluting you don't want thin beer. Used to happen to be when I was in my extract days.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:12 pm »
Meh.  I've never experienced thin beer from topping up.  If you know your volumes, you can calc the gravity and the amount needed to top up to where you want to be. 

Thin beer seems like there's a problem somewhere else.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:39 am »
Meh.  I've never experienced thin beer from topping up.  If you know your volumes, you can calc the gravity and the amount needed to top up to where you want to be. 

I agree. If you're topping up beer that is short on volume but has the right amount of sugar (after topping up) then it shouldn't be thin. The top up is just replacing the water that should have been in the beer but for the excessive evaporation in the kettle.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:46 am »

I agree. If you're topping up beer that is short on volume but has the right amount of sugar (after topping up) then it shouldn't be thin. The top up is just replacing the water that should have been in the beer but for the excessive evaporation in the kettle.

+1. Used to do this all the time. After a while, I just gave up and saved the time and effort and went with what I got instead.