Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spunding Experiment  (Read 2263 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Spunding Experiment
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »
Well, I finally get a chance to try spunding.  Today is day 8 on my low oxygen saison.  The airlock was still bubbling so I took a gravity sample, and it was at 1.015. 

I've brewed this recipe quite a few times, but this is the first time I have pitched a blend of 3247 and 3711.  My guess is it will finish between 1.004 and 1.007.  Today is the only day I could possibly transfer it until next weekend so I decided to give it a shot.

I really hope it doesn't stall out on me.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

To those of you who have tried it, did you have any issues with the liquid QD getting clogged?  The beer stopped flowing when there was still about a gallon left in the fermentor.  I figured the QD was probably clogged and swapped it out for a new one which fixed the problem (but still caused a few minutes of crushing anxiety).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Spunding Experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »
Well, I finally get a chance to try spunding.  Today is day 8 on my low oxygen saison.  The airlock was still bubbling so I took a gravity sample, and it was at 1.015. 

I've brewed this recipe quite a few times, but this is the first time I have pitched a blend of 3247 and 3711.  My guess is it will finish between 1.004 and 1.007.  Today is the only day I could possibly transfer it until next weekend so I decided to give it a shot.

To those of you who have tried it, did you have any issues with the liquid QD getting clogged?  The beer stopped flowing when there was still about a gallon left in the fermentor.  I figured the QD was probably clogged and swapped it out for a new one which fixed the problem (but still caused a few minutes of crushing anxiety).

I haven't had that issue...yet. As for the stall, if it were 3724 alone, I'd be worried. But that's why I like to blend it with 3711 - it makes your fermentation pretty bulletproof. That stuff is a workhorse. I'm curious to see how it comes out.
Jon H.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:30:21 pm »
I'm pretty surprised that it is still going at day 8, did you pitch a healthy bunch of yeast?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:34:15 pm »
I'm pretty surprised that it is still going at day 8, did you pitch a healthy bunch of yeast?

Saison strains can be pretty slow to eat the last few points IME.
Jon H.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 07:40:40 pm »

Same.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 08:33:37 pm »

Same.
Yes...all 4 saisons that I've brewed so far looked like they were done at 1.008-09.  Then SLOWLY chugged their way down to 1.002.  The yeast was Lallemand Belle Saison which I think is 3711 or very similar.  I finished at around 80 F.

Oh, and I bottle carbonated three of those and keg carbonated (with added sugar) the fourth.  They all carbed up great.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:41:15 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 08:53:29 pm »

When I transfer I have this happen fairly often, but I'm typically transferring finished beer so I don't know if my methods are a bit different then yours. I connect a picnic tap, then blow out the trub. When it starts to clear out, I close the tap for a second or two to let some more trub settle down then blow that out. After its pretty clear I switch to my keg jumper.

When it clogs, I just start turning up the CO2 pressure slowly. Eventually it will blow out any clog you might run into.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 11:48:14 pm »

Huh. I've used 3711 quite a bit and it seems to finish very quickly for me. 3724 can be really slow though, so maybe it's the combination?
Same.
Yes...all 4 saisons that I've brewed so far looked like they were done at 1.008-09.  Then SLOWLY chugged their way down to 1.002.  The yeast was Lallemand Belle Saison which I think is 3711 or very similar.  I finished at around 80 F.

Oh, and I bottle carbonated three of those and keg carbonated (with added sugar) the fourth.  They all carbed up great.