Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To spund or not to spund...that is the question  (Read 12159 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: To spund or not to spund...that is the question
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:10 pm »
When I add sugar I boil the sugar and water together to make sure that the sugar is all well dissolved, and I usually use as little water as I think I can get away with.  Depending on your apparatus, you might be able to get it boiling and then put it in the keg while it is still near boiling to prevent it from absorbing any oxygen before it goes into the keg.  Once it is in the keg it will cool down mighty quick, to say nothing of having the rest of the beer put on it.  That is my take on it anyway.

Also, with the spunding valve on it, the amount of sugar you use becomes a bit less important as long as you have a bit more than you need.  The pressure relief valve will set the carbonation level if there is too much sugar put into it.

These are great points that need to be explored Nate. Especially the top paragraph. Have you tried that yet?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »
When I add sugar I boil the sugar and water together to make sure that the sugar is all well dissolved, and I usually use as little water as I think I can get away with.  Depending on your apparatus, you might be able to get it boiling and then put it in the keg while it is still near boiling to prevent it from absorbing any oxygen before it goes into the keg.  Once it is in the keg it will cool down mighty quick, to say nothing of having the rest of the beer put on it.  That is my take on it anyway.

Also, with the spunding valve on it, the amount of sugar you use becomes a bit less important as long as you have a bit more than you need.  The pressure relief valve will set the carbonation level if there is too much sugar put into it.
That's my take on it too.  Except that we are all obsessing over tiny amounts of O2 that should be scavenged by the yeast pretty quickly, no? 

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Low Oxygen Home Brew.  OK, that's getting to be too long an acronym.  This ain't the Defense Dept., ya know.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:50:54 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
Yeah, it is possible to be over obsessed I'm sure, however I usually aim for the stars and then screw it up and get something that is good enough.  It is a rare day that anything just works the way that it should.  I like to think that I'm not alone in that (please don't tell me if I am alone).
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:13 pm »
Yeah, it is possible to be over obsessed I'm sure, however I usually aim for the stars and then screw it up and get something that is good enough.  It is a rare day that anything just works the way that it should.  I like to think that I'm not alone in that (please don't tell me if I am alone).

No, you're damn sure not alone. I usually err on the OCD side of things, but still manage to have fun at the same time. Nobody can claim every brew day ever goes completely perfectly. But after enough batches, the 'screw ups' tend to be minor enough to leave you with good beer. My success rate went through the roof after I stopped drinking while brewing. Go figure  :)
Jon H.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »
Could any of you Spundters tell me about your improved brew from spundting?
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »
Could any of you Spundters tell me about your improved brew from spundting?
The beer is probably worse because I spundt. I don't know why I do it.
Jesse

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 10:17:10 am »
I have been putting my prime solution in the fermenter prior to the transfer. I wait until I see the ferment restart then rack to the keg. It's been working great.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 11:21:54 am »
I have been putting my prime solution in the fermenter prior to the transfer. I wait until I see the ferment restart then rack to the keg. It's been working great.
Interesting. How long has it been taking for you to see it restart?

My previous post was sarcastic. I must've been in a mood that day...
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2017, 11:25:54 am »

Yeah, that is an interesting idea too. I am assuming you are getting some splashing when adding the priming solution into the already fermenting wort?

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2017, 11:31:19 am »
Less then an hour to restart. I carefully add the solution through the fermentation airlock bung with a small long stem glass funnel. I use an equal amount of water by weight to the dextrose. The solution is not to thick so it seems to mix well by itself as evidenced by proper carbonation.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2017, 07:39:26 pm »
This seems pretty legit.  I really can't see a downside here, other than having some sediment in the keg.  Also, this method would be sweet from a prepper standpoint, when CO2 in a tank could be hard to come by... But how long would you be able to push beer, if there was no added CO2?  At that point, is it basically a cask ale? 

Either way, I'm going to pick up a valve and give it a shot. 

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2017, 08:11:57 pm »
This seems pretty legit.  I really can't see a downside here, other than having some sediment in the keg.  Also, this method would be sweet from a prepper standpoint, when CO2 in a tank could be hard to come by... But how long would you be able to push beer, if there was no added CO2?  At that point, is it basically a cask ale? 

Either way, I'm going to pick up a valve and give it a shot.

I do a variant of this if I can't catch the beer for a full spund. Based on the FFT, I'll try to time it for when I'm within a point of FG, add priming sugar to bottles and then fill directly from the fermenter. I figure the yeast is still plenty active that way. It's easiest and best to get a full spund directly out of the fermenter but schedules don't always line up.

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2017, 11:35:24 pm »
I will just add that along with all the other benefits listed here, oxygen, carbonation, etc. I will list one that often gets overlooked, and that is better foam. Here is why(IMO), Glycerol.

Yeast produce glycerol naturally which contributes to body and palatability, but I think when spunded and put under pressure, the yeast produce more, and it contributes to foam positive proteins.
Yes, it seems explained in figure 3 here. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1980.tb06867.x/asset/j.2050-0416.1980.tb06867.x.pdf;jsessionid=2A16861EB2D61A69B1BAF8948CF23646.f03t02?v=1&t=iyxvhv5n&s=0ed28239deb1364875d14cbc9d7e55f1959b83c2
Don't know about foam, could be, but glycerol contributes to mouthfeel.