Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Were you disappointed in your first home brew??  (Read 7243 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Were you disappointed in your first home brew??
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:58 pm »
My first batch tasted like bananas. No, I wasn't disappointed, I expected my first couple batches to be a major learning curve. I think it was a midwest big ben pale ale kit.

Second batch was much better...till it got kegged. My keg had a patch of rust in the dip tube, made the entire batch taste like bad pennies.

Things improved after that though.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 09:54:47 pm »
My first home brew was a 1 gallon batch of all grain.
Twas a "black ipa" i saw on the cellar dwellars website.  I converted the recipe from grams to oz, used four different hops, boil and dry hop. I used S05, I let it ferment in my closet at about 70f and i had no way of checking gravity. I just waited til it "stopped bubbling" primed with table sugar and put it into bottles.
Before this i had never tasted homebrew but i knew it didn't taste as good as the beer style that had inspired it.

Now almost 1 year and 1 month later. I've made a few beers that i think are good, but most importantly i am learning from my mistakes. Perhaps one day i will re visit that first brew and try it again. For now i will be focusing on one maybe 2 styles until i feel i have perfected them.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 03:48:04 am »
My first brew was a Mr. Beer kit. A stout.

Just okay, but still much better than any of the industrialized yellow crud available years ago in the small town where I live. Quickly moved to all grain and then to better fermentation temp control.

Now that craft beer is showing up locally I still buy a six-pack occasionally of something I think I might like or to experience the taste of something different.  Sometimes I think it sets the bar higher than what I'm brewing and other times I like mine better.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 05:23:22 am »
My first batch over 10 years ago tasted like beer and I've been hooked ever since.
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 05:44:43 am »
I liked my first batch even though only the last few were really ready. I think I tried the first one 4 days after bottling and considered it ready when it seemed carbed after a week. I probably drank half of it that weekend then when I finished the last few a couple weeks later I realized that it was just really ready.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 06:05:45 am »
Just keep doing it. Not much works the first time, brewing included.

I was pretty jazzed about my first beer. It worked, I drank it, I made more.

Exactly. My first beer was a Munton's ESB 'kit'. Back then ('92/93), a kit often consisted of two can of hopped extract and a packet of 'ale yeast' .  I followed it to the letter and felt like it was great at the time. But when I switched to all grain brewing, there was a definite learning curve. There still is, as I try out new techniques. Just keep learning and enjoying the results. They get better.
Jon H.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 06:30:15 am »
You might need to add some minerals to your distilled water to get a better result.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:05 am »
 I started back around 1995 or so....I thought my first batches of beer were great....... I shouldn't have thought that, but I did. 

They were mediocre to bad.  From time to time I had a good batch of beer I made.  But nothing special.  Honestly, I would say that the first 10-15 years my beer was this way when I look back on it.  I would say somewhere around 2010 I kind of reinvested myself in brewing.  I read A LOT, tried to learn from others, used sources on the web, learned new things or expanded on what I knew (water, sanitation procedures, fermentation, yeast starters, etc).... that is when I feel like I consistently started to make good beer.

Lots of good advice above.  If I had to give one piece of advice for getting better at brewing...... Make sure you pick one beer to brew frequently - over and  over.  Find a tried and true recipe or kit to start with - good source of ingredients.  It does not have to be every batch, but you should brew it every 2-3 times.  I found repetition and tweaking small aspects of the beer (Procedure, temperature, ingredients, water, etc) to be a key element in improving.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 07:03:45 am »
You folks are all awesome. Thanks for the advice.  Braufessor, I like that approach.  I don't think I'd learn much jumping style to style.  My two biggest beers that I enjoy are IPA's (of course) and Belgian Ale's.  The IPA's for when I need a hop fix, and Belgian Ales (or Belgian PA's) when I want a more laid back, smooth, malty biscuity drink. 

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 07:13:54 am »
I loved my first few batches. They were swill, but they were my swill that I made.

now Im making decent beer. I like to think its amazing, but that's just my bias coming thru. I know they aren't that great. I learn a lot from my mistakes and that's what matter.

I know you said you are using distilled water. That water doesn't have any minerals or salts in it so flavor can suffer from that. I used to use spring water until I got into learning about water chemistry (which believe me, its not as hard as it seems when you first start reading about it... use Bru'nWater! its a great resource.) So basically I would use spring water until you want to learn about water chemistry.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 07:27:15 am »
Hell no! It was 23 years ago, and I was hooked from the start. It was a ordinary bitter in a can, add water, boil, ferment and voila, I had beer. I can still remember drinking the last bottle thinking how good it was. Was it? I don't really know, but I thought so at the time.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 07:58:22 am »
Same story as most when it comes to my first beer.  I made it 19 years ago and only vaguely remember anything about it.  I jumped right in with an "Advanced Extract Kit".   ;D  Which basically meant it included some crystal malt that was steeped for 30 minutes before boiling and liquid yeast.

It was good enough to get me to brew a second batch.  It took a few years to be willing to share my beer with people outside the house.  Many of the first batches were awful but they got better.  I think my all-grain batches must be decent now because I hear from people who tell me some mutual friend was raving about this or that beer.  That kind of thing can keep you going awhile.   :D

To be completely truthful here, I still bomb a batch now and then.  I kegged a Farmhouse Saison (new to me recipe) last night that will take some convincing to make me believe it's any good.  ::).  Who knows?  Someone may like it.

Welcome back to the obsession!

Paul
Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:18 am »
You folks are all awesome. Thanks for the advice.  Braufessor, I like that approach.  I don't think I'd learn much jumping style to style.  My two biggest beers that I enjoy are IPA's (of course) and Belgian Ale's.  The IPA's for when I need a hop fix, and Belgian Ales (or Belgian PA's) when I want a more laid back, smooth, malty biscuity drink.

Yeah -  I think every new home brewer likes to brew a different beer every time, and brew beers with all kinds of complex ingredients and unique additions.  However, once you get a little of that out of your system, there is just no substitute for picking a particular style/recipe and brewing it 10-20 times (or more).  Make it something that does not take a lot of time to turn around, something that is not super expensive to brew, something without a mountain of over powering ingredients, personally - I preferred low ABV type beers for this. And, it has to be something you and friends are eager to drink up..... Some of the styles I used for this type of thing - Dark Mild, British Ordinary Bitter, Blonde, APA, IPA, Porter, Dortmunder Lager, Helles.....  I just picked one at a time and brewed it over and over and over until I got it where I felt like I really had it nailed down.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:05 am »
I mixed the priming sugar unevenly, and the carbonation varied throughout the bottles, with most of them quite low.  So, yes.  But I have very high standards; most people thought it was fantastic.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 08:42:55 am »
Looking back I wish I hadn't shared as many bottles from my earlier batches. I'm sure I turned a lot of people off of brewing.