Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using the thermostar dudal mode controller  (Read 2255 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Using the thermostar dudal mode controller
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
So i'm having major issues with this device. The control is not maintaining desired range. I set my desired temperature around 50F for primary fermentation of a dunkel, i have used the heat and cooling modes have seen the range jump from 28F to 67F in the fridge. I have used the lock feature, turned the actual fridge temp control off, and to its lowest setting nothing has work to maintain the temperature range. It is a old fridge but that shouldn't matter. by some miracle i have the yeast have managed to ferment in probably close to 30F average. Is there something i'm missing?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline satchman

• Cellarman
Re: Using the thermostar dudal mode controller
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:33 pm »
Do you have anything in the fridge? Without some thermal mass (a lot of water), the temperature will fluctuate wildly.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »
I have 5gal of beer and a blow off tube with bucket (small trash can). The fridge is just big enough to fit both of those. Isn't the whole point of the thermo control to not have wild temperature swings?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:24 pm »
Yes that is totally the point,  but the compressor might have a high and low run time setting.   Some compressors will come on,  and stay on for a certain time period and when they shut off will stay off for a time period regardless of the call for cooling.   Its a feature to help keep the compressor from burning up from on--off-on-off.
This may not help,  but try widening your setpoint tolerance to 10-15 degrees,  it may allow time for the compressor to reset.  If it's old enough,  you may even be able to find the timer and remove it.   Use Google.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:24:29 pm »
ok thanks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »
Where is your probe?

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:07:29 am »
+1 on verification of probe placement.  Before I started using tape to stick the probe to the fermenter my temps were all over the place.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:42:47 am »
I set my desired temperature around 50F for primary fermentation of a dunkel, i have used the heat and cooling modes have seen the range jump from 28F to 67F in the fridge.

Are you measuring the air temperature or the temperature of the beer?  With that controller, you will be better off measuring the temperature of the beer. 

If your fermentor does not have a thermowell, you can tape the probe to the side of the fermentor with some insulation over it to keep it from being affected by the air temperature.  I take a small ziplock bag into which I have inserted a paper towel that's been folded over a few times, tape that to the fermentor with painter's tape, and insert the probe into the space between the ziplock and the fermentor (so that the probe is touching the fermentor and the insulated ziplock bag is taped over the probe and holding it against the fermentor).

That's just one example, there are a bunch of different ways you could accomplish this.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:29 pm »
I had the sensor on the fridge wall, i did up moving the sensor to right next to the carboy and the temp has been consistent ever since . Thanks for the suggestions

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:25 pm »
Attach it to the fermenter. Almost as good as, and in some ways better, than a thermowell.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 07:33:48 am »
I taped a small piece of pipe insulation (cut in half) to my fermenter.  I slip the probe in there and then close the gap at the top with some little wads of paper towel.  Is that the new dual-mode temp controller sold by NB?

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:42 pm »
Yes it's from NB, once i placed the probe on the carboy the temp has been stable (with +/-2F)

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:54 pm »
Wouldn't hurt to have a computer fan moving the air in there
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS