Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ancient pin lock keg - looking for parts and information  (Read 2075 times)

Offline edward

• Cellarman
Ancient pin lock keg - looking for parts and information
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:54:31 pm »
I'm looking for some help with recently purchased old Coca Cola kegs (19??'s) that are missing a few parts.  I’m trying to get them back to usable condition.  I got two on a craiglist find that need some work.

I've contacted several corny keg suppliers and I've had no luck (Keg Connection, Williams Brewing,Chi company).  I've also scoured the internet looking for anything about this keg design - no luck.

The Pin-lock posts are larger in diameter than standard Pin-lock posts, but only where there pins are.  Maybe 1/16” bigger, the disconnects aren’t close to fitting.  The post thread size is much larger than normal pin lock – I haven’t had a chance to determine the thread size.  There is also a rubber seal that sits inside the bottom of the post - which is not normal for me.

No identifying names or stampings on the kegs.  In small print the posts says “Hansen” - but this is a common post supplier.  The only identifying number on it is P372P.

Most obviously the center lid is completely round with no pressure relief.

Some of the rubber seals are different sizes than standard pin lock but I know I can source equivalent ones on McMaster Carr.

Parts missing from the kegs:  liquid post, center lid with nut, gas dip tube (to be honest I cant be certain it ever had them - I'm just assuming)

Anyone seen any kegs like this before?  Know anyone that has parts?

Any help is appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vo2eu6i52wx0ofh/AADT7SyGABvUwRRWY8bw0Pdka
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:56:08 pm by edward »

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Ancient pin lock keg - looking for parts and information
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:50 pm »
Have you tried calling your local Coke bottling plant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:32 pm »
These are Heintz kegs. Heintz was a division of Kelsey-Hayes (which now mostly only makes car parts). These kegs were built for Coca-Cola's premix systems in the 1950s-1960s and seem to run as a small as 1-2 gallons up to five gallons. They seem to have fallen out of favor in the late 1960s or early 1970s in favor of the more popular pin lock style. Bottlers could have continued to fill them with premix because they likely would have still had the equipment to open and clean them (not that it requires anything fancy).

Coca-Cola bottlers would be your best bet to find parts. Few seem to exist in the wild and probably command collectible pricing. You might be better off selling them to a Coca-Cola collector than trying to refurb them for homebrew.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
I had considered the idea of collectibles. I'd rather see what I can do for now. Do you have a link to any information on the kegs?

Even searching for Heintz kegs doesn't yield much.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »
http://www.chicompany.net/

These folks have parts for many of the rare and older kegs.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:15:43 pm »
I had considered the idea of collectibles. I'd rather see what I can do for now. Do you have a link to any information on the kegs?

Even searching for Heintz kegs doesn't yield much.

Unfortunately whatever you found on google is probably the extent of information available online. Your local coke bottler has probably been around long enough to have filled these at one time and is probably a better source of info. Maybe try reaching out to Coca-Cola directly. I don't know how they feel about homebrewers repurposing their old kegs but they do support people collecting their old merchandise and equipment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing