Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did my DIPA Stall?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline DKensil

• 1st Kit
Did my DIPA Stall?
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:29 am »
Hello everyone, I am a pretty new brewer and I am looking for some advice as to how to handle my current fermentation. I took a swing at a Citra Double IPA. Brew day was back on 01/14. I hit an OG of around 1.077 and after a week I checked the gravity and got 1.030 which was still 0.010 higher than i'd like it so I let it run for another week and checked it today 01/29 and its still reading 1.030. I'm assuming my yeast quit on me and I'm stuck at 1.030. Any suggestions for squeezing that extra 0.010 out of my beer? any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Did my DIPA Stall?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:21:19 am »
What temperature are you fermenting at and which yeast did you pitch?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline DKensil

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:23:40 am »
What temperature are you fermenting at and which yeast did you pitch?

70F - 72F, Lallemand Nottingham (1 pack)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:27:04 am »
Given the yeast and the temp, I'd say it was done, not stalled.  Nottingham should have fermented that OG easily at that temp.  What was the recipe?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline DKensil

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:34:21 am »
Given the yeast and the temp, I'd say it was done, not stalled.  Nottingham should have fermented that OG easily at that temp.  What was the recipe?

12lbs Briess Pale Malt
1lbs Briess Caramel 20L
1lbs Munich Malt

1.0oz Citra (60 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tab (15 min)
1.0oz Citra (10 min)
1.0oz Mosaic (10 min)
0.5oz Citra (0 min)
0.5oz Mosaic (0 min)
0.5oz Citra (Dry Hop)
0.5oz Mosaic (Dry Hop)

1.077 OG

Lallemand Nottingham (1 Pack) Pitched at 70F
Fermented at 70F - 72F

1.030 FG after two weeks (been 1.030 for 1 whole week)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:00:59 pm »

12lbs Briess Pale Malt
1lbs Briess Caramel 20L
1lbs Munich Malt

1.0oz Citra (60 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tab (15 min)
1.0oz Citra (10 min)
1.0oz Mosaic (10 min)
0.5oz Citra (0 min)
0.5oz Mosaic (0 min)
0.5oz Citra (Dry Hop)
0.5oz Mosaic (Dry Hop)

1.077 OG

Lallemand Nottingham (1 Pack) Pitched at 70F
Fermented at 70F - 72F

1.030 FG after two weeks (been 1.030 for 1 whole week)

No sugar?  That's a normal ingredient for a DIPA to dry it out.  I think your fermentation is done.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:33 pm »
Time for the obligatory - "Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure your FG?" and the followup - "Have you calibrated your hydrometer recently to be sure that it is reading 1.000 in plain water?"
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline DKensil

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:40:00 pm »
Time for the obligatory - "Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure your FG?" and the followup - "Have you calibrated your hydrometer recently to be sure that it is reading 1.000 in plain water?"

I used a refractometer for OG after calibrating it with distilled water. I use a hydrometer for FG. It still reads 1.000 in plain water so I'm assuming it is calibrated.

I went ahead and gave the carboy a swirl to see if I can get a few more points out of the yeast. I'll be checking it again in about 3 days to see if it changed at all. If I'm still sitting at 1.030, I'm just going to dry hop and move on to bottles. No sense getting hung up on this batch. I just need to be more cautious not to under pitch the beer next time. At least I got a sweet 6.2% IPA out of it, right?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »

I used a refractometer for OG after calibrating it with distilled water. I use a hydrometer for FG. It still reads 1.000 in plain water so I'm assuming it is calibrated.

I went ahead and gave the carboy a swirl to see if I can get a few more points out of the yeast. I'll be checking it again in about 3 days to see if it changed at all. If I'm still sitting at 1.030, I'm just going to dry hop and move on to bottles. No sense getting hung up on this batch. I just need to be more cautious not to under pitch the beer next time. At least I got a sweet 6.2% IPA out of it, right?

IMO, you did not underpitch.  If you want to know for certain try a forced ferment test.  If that ferments, then you do have a yeast issue.  If not, then you have a wort problem and more yeast will not solve it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline DKensil

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:14:51 am »

IMO, you did not underpitch.  If you want to know for certain try a forced ferment test.  If that ferments, then you do have a yeast issue.  If not, then you have a wort problem and more yeast will not solve it.

Thanks for all the help with this one guys! I found that after rousing the yeast cake, it began bubbling again after about 6 hours. By the time I bottled, it was down to 1.026. not optimal but unfortunately I needed to get that fermenter emptied (was borrowing it from a friend who needed it back.

This community is extremely helpful anytime I have questions and I greatly appreciate that! I'm sure I will be back during my next brew. Thanks again!