Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safe way to move from 22oz bottles to 12oz bottles?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Safe way to move from 22oz bottles to 12oz bottles?
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:43 am »
Is there a safe way to move beer from 22oz bottles to 12oz bottles?  I brewed a beer about a month ago planning to enter it in the AHA National Homebrewers Competition.  They decided to now allow 22oz bottles this year. 

Offline mikepires17

• 1st Kit
Re: Safe way to move from 22oz bottles to 12oz bottles?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:21:55 pm »
More than likely moving the beer from 22 ounce bottle to 12 oz. would result in oxidation. If it's a high alcohol beer like an imperial stout or barleywine you may be safe. If you move the beer from the bottle you would have to either re-bottle condition or re-carbonate it in a keg.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:27:43 pm »
Is there a safe way to move beer from 22oz bottles to 12oz bottles?  I brewed a beer about a month ago planning to enter it in the AHA National Homebrewers Competition.  They decided to now allow 22oz bottles this year.

If they are allowing 22 oz bottles and your beer is already in 22 oz bottles then why do you need to move it to 12 oz bottles?  (I did not think they allowed the larger 22 oz bottles)

But, if you need to transfer here is a possible way to go about it....

1. Sanitize your receiving bottle and get both your beer and receiving bottle as cold as you can get it without freezing it.
2. Spray some sanitizer around underside of bottle cap and on bottle opener.
3. Open bottle gently, and carefully and slowly pour into empty sanitized bottle.
4. Cap with bottle cap on foam if possible. Keep them cold until shipping.

EDIT - If you can purge the receiving empty bottle with CO2 first your transfer will have a reduced chance of greater oxidation. But do keep in mind this method will still oxidize your beer to some degree.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:29:16 pm by brewinhard »

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:56:18 am »

If they are allowing 22 oz bottles and your beer is already in 22 oz bottles then why do you need to move it to 12 oz bottles?  (I did not think they allowed the larger 22 oz bottles)

But, if you need to transfer here is a possible way to go about it....

1. Sanitize your receiving bottle and get both your beer and receiving bottle as cold as you can get it without freezing it.
2. Spray some sanitizer around underside of bottle cap and on bottle opener.
3. Open bottle gently, and carefully and slowly pour into empty sanitized bottle.
4. Cap with bottle cap on foam if possible. Keep them cold until shipping.

EDIT - If you can purge the receiving empty bottle with CO2 first your transfer will have a reduced chance of greater oxidation. But do keep in mind this method will still oxidize your beer to some degree.

I post wrong.  I meant they are not excepting, not now accepting.