Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1/2 full keg slow to carb  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
1/2 full keg slow to carb
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:20 am »
Will a 1/2 full keg take longer to force carb compared to a full keg? I have had it at 30 psi for a couple of days and not sure what is going on. Pours very fast. Is it because it's cider?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

Re: 1/2 full keg slow to carb
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:06:21 am »
Will a 1/2 full keg take longer to force carb compared to a full keg? I have had it at 30 psi for a couple of days and not sure what is going on. Pours very fast. Is it because it's cider?
I think it goes faster. I have only tried 30PSI once on a half full keg and I over carbed. Could have been user error.   I did 30PSI for about 30 hours I think. It's been a while.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:34:54 am »

What temp is your keg sitting at?

Did you release the pressure relief valve on the keg prior to pouring?  If not (and you say your cider is pouring very fast) the fast pour from excessive pressure could be knocking a lot of CO2 out of solution causing the cider to be less carbonated than desired.
Try pulling the PRV ring to reduce headspace pressure, then turn up your gas pressure to serving levels and then try pouring a glass.  Should fix it.
Post back if not...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:53 am »
Did you release the pressure relief valve on the keg prior to pouring?  If not (and you say your cider is pouring very fast) the fast pour from excessive pressure could be knocking a lot of CO2 out of solution causing the cider to be less carbonated than desired.
Try pulling the PRV ring to reduce headspace pressure, then turn up your gas pressure to serving levels and then try pouring a glass.

+1.  I can't explain it, but cider seems to carb in keg differently than beer, to me at least. Seems to carb a little slower. Then again, I don't like much carbonation in cider, so a little goes a long way for me.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »
Thanks all. It is at 38f. I was worried that the wrong gas line was on from the manifold but that it not it and the gas is defintely flowing. I will vent it and go from there.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:47:59 pm »
Thanks all. It is at 38f. I was worried that the wrong gas line was on from the manifold but that it not it and the gas is defintely flowing. I will vent it and go from there.

Let us know if it works for ya. Nothing more frustrating then trying to pull your first carbonated taste of a home brewed beverage only to find it flat... :P

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:19:07 pm »

Let us know if it works for ya. Nothing more frustrating then trying to pull your first carbonated taste of a home brewed beverage only to find it flat... :P

Yeah its one of those things for sure. Having guests over tomorrow which is rare. People rarely drink my product so I try to not look like a complete amateur.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:29:55 pm »

Yeah its one of those things for sure. Having guests over tomorrow which is rare. People rarely drink my product so I try to not look like a complete amateur.

You will get it figured out. And I am sure you are making a great product to serve to friends and family!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 10:52:21 am »
Lo and behold the cider was extremely over carbonated however guests enjoyed it. I had taken another small sample before guests arrived and it appeared and tasted flat. I have purged it multiple times now and turned off the gas however it is pouring very foamy