Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Test my harvested yeast?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
Test my harvested yeast?
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:27 pm »
Hey homebrewers,

So I recently harvested yeast from my recent white ipa. However, I sorta screwed up the process. Long story short, after cold crashing in a mason jar. I can't tell if I just have a ton of yeast harvested or if its just all trub.
Before someone asks, where did I screw up? After dumping the distilled water into my fermentor, I shook/swirled it up like I've read and let it sit for 20 minutes. Just before transferring to the first set of mason jars, I shook it up again (MISTAKE)....  anyways, is there a way I can confirm that I have a ton of yeast, or just crappy trub? I plan on rebrewing the beer again soon, but don't want to screw it up by pitching crap instead of yeast.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Test my harvested yeast?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »
I think the better way is skip the water. Swirl up your yeast cake with whatever beer remains after racking and pour that into the sanitized jar

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:04:32 pm »
Jim is correct.

But if you want to test it, make a starter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:13 pm »
There's yeast there, and a lot. There's also trub. There's also dead yeast, and hop particles, and a bunch of other stuff. Make a starter on your next brew day, and as long as your yeast harvest is clean it'll be okay.

In the future, I recommend starter harvesting for cleaner purer, healthier yeast..

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
I think the better way is skip the water. Swirl up your yeast cake with whatever beer remains after racking and pour that into the sanitized jar

This^^^^.  I quit rinsing yeast long ago becasue it was a PITA with no appreciable benefit
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:29:21 am »
anyways, is there a way I can confirm that I have a ton of yeast, or just crappy trub?

Can you post a picture?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:40:50 am »
I will add 2 pictures tonight. 1 will be from a previous yeast harvest that I know is successful. The other will be the questionable one.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:05:38 am »
Drain off some of the liquid and add some wort. Put the lid back on and screw on the ring halfway so it can vent gas. If it ferments it's good.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:31 am »
Drain off some of the liquid and add some wort. Put the lid back on and screw on the ring halfway so it can vent gas. If it ferments it's good.
Definitely make sure it can vent gas! You don't want your jar to explode.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:18:07 am »
In the future, I recommend starter harvesting for cleaner purer, healthier yeast..

I plan to start overbuilding starters and harvesting a clean culture from the starter. This calculator lets you overbuild your starters by a desired cell count. 

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 02:17:26 pm »
So....
I was in the process of making a yeast starter today with previously harvested yeast that is totally unrelated to this original forum post. At the same time, I figured I would make a little more of starter wort to see if the belgian wit yeast would ferment (to confirm if I did have yeast or just a bunch of trubby crap). I took the harvested WLP400 yeast out of the fridge to let it warm up to room temp... long story short, as I walked back to the jar 10 or so minutes later, I noticed the huge 1 inch sediment shoot to the top of the jar. I slowly started to take the mason jar cover off... and wort/yeast went everywhere. Needless to say..... it turns out that one inch layer at the bottom of the jar was all yeast.