Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: e-BIAB (Single Vessel)  (Read 1486 times)

Offline mmccloskey1

• 1st Kit
e-BIAB (Single Vessel)
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »
I have been researching the idea of retiring my 10 gallon cooler and move to brewing in a single vessel.  I looked at the Colorado Brewing Systems (Nano Home) and the Brew-Boss with the COFI mesh basket.  After reading several threads containing reviews of those systems, I believe I am going to design my own for two reasons.  The use of a kettle that is narrower so there is less dead space under the mesh basket (allows the water level higher in the mash basket, and a design to increase circulation to avoid a scorched element with wheat and rye beers. 

The kettle I would like to use is the Brewer's Hardware 20 Gallon TC fitted boil kettle with tangential inlet.  I will design something similar to SS Brewtech's manifold for the circulation of wort to the top of the mesh basket.  Here is where I need some opinions from those who use the BIAB method with a mesh basket. 

The idea I have, in order to avoid any chance of a scorched element for wheat or rye beers, is to use a Y fitting to spit the pump output to direct a portion of the wort to the top of the mesh basket and the rest to the tangential inlet to ensure proper wort movement below the mesh basket and to help keep any proteins from sticking to the element that could potentially cause scorching during step mashing or mash out.  The majority of the wort would return to the top.  Only a small portion would be returned to the tangential inlet just to keep things moving in the bottom of the kettle.   

Since I have never used a BIAB system, does anyone have an opinion regarding my proposal?  Based on what I have read, I don't think I would need to use my proposed split wort return on normal recipes.  Only ones with a lot of wheat and rye. 

Any assistance or opinions would be greatly appreciated. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:05:30 am by mmccloskey1 »

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: e-BIAB (Single Vessel)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:50:09 am »
I think I have the same system you're describing. I do BIAB in a single vessel with a nylon mesh bag for the grain.  There is a 110V heating element (could be 220V, but I have not made that leap yet) at the bottom of the pot and I use a physical standoff to keep the bag away from the element. I use a Chugger pump to recirculate the wort and a PID controller to control mash temperatures. I went the route of buying some key parts, like the SS Brewtech manifold, other bits are homegrown. I have never had problems with scorching the wort - it is a low-watt density element and only runs when the pump is on.

I would be happy to share my lessons learned. Send me an IM.