Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Well that was a disaster...  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
Well that was a disaster...
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »
My third batch after two extract batches, a BIAB ONE gallon Belgian Pale Ale recipe I tweaked with Beersmith.  All went awesome, including temps, pre-boil gravity..etc.  Steeping grains smells incredible!!!  About ten minutes before boil ended I took a gravity reading (with an ATC refractometer I got as a gift from my wife) and got 1.067 rather than the 56 hoped for.  Under pressure, I topped up with my source water (my well water) which was uncorrected and guess I used about 1/2 quart or more to get to me 59.  In all the fuss and bringing up to a boil again I totally FORGOT the hops at flame out.  What an idiot.  Do I dare dry hope this in the one gallon secondary or pop the lid on the primary after it settles and drop some pellets in?  The  recipe only called for .06oz Fuggle and .04oz Glacier at flame out for aroma.  Well I live and learn I guess.  My 8 year old daughter, when I was scratching my head, said, "Daddy you're doing an awesome job!!"  Little did she know but that sure brightened my night : ) 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Well that was a disaster...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 08:17:20 pm »
Relax, it's fine.  Dry hop it... or don't, no worries.  If it were mine, I'd likely dry hop it. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:48:55 am »
Agree, dry hop it.  It will enhance the hop flavor and aroma. I'm assuming it's an IPA.   But with a 1 gallon batch I would reduce the dry hop amount.  I typically dry hop a 5 gallon batch with 2 oz.  Just doing simple proportions you would use .5 oz in a 1 gallon batch.
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:55 am »
Agree, dry hop it.  It will enhance the hop flavor and aroma. I'm assuming it's an IPA.   But with a 1 gallon batch I would reduce the dry hop amount.  I typically dry hop a 5 gallon batch with 2 oz.  Just doing simple proportions you would use .5 oz in a 1 gallon batch.

It's a Belgian Pale Ale and scaled down for the recipe it calls for very little hopping at flame out.  Like .05oz each of Fuggles and Glacier.  I'm going to rack it to a glass secondary and dry hop it there for a while.  The recipe calls for just a wiff to not overpower the body of the beer.  We shall see!

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 11:01:15 am »
Your being too hard on yourself.
I wouldn't classify this as a disaster.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:46:36 pm »

I think I was emotional because I was into about my fifth Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA at that point.  Sorry  ;D

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 02:41:21 pm »

I think I was emotional because I was into about my fifth Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA at that point.  Sorry  ;D
Happens to the best of us.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:36 am »

Happens to the best of us.

Whew...didn't want to be alone!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »
Don't sweat missing a flame out addition in a Belgian Pale Ale.  It is not a hop forward style.  If you do decide to dry hop it, go very easy.  Grassy hop flavor can become a distraction.
I would even consider using a Noble hop instead of the British hops.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge