Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 001 Starter for Mead  (Read 1714 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
WLP 001 Starter for Mead
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:45:42 pm »
After reading Billy Beltz' article "Can Ale Yeast Make Great Mead?" in the May/June 2016 Zymurgy, I am excited to try WLP001 in my mead.  A couple of concerns that I have though deal with a good start/fermentation, and alcohol tolerance.  I make mead often, so I am familiar with and use go-ferm and staggered nutrient additions.
  I would like to ask Billy if he was able to take WLP001 to 14% like my traditional mead is when I use 25% honey and 75% h2o.  Or better yet, can it take a Cyser to 18% using 25% honey and 75% cider?  I'm thinking I might have to start the fermentation using WLP001 to set the flavor profile and then use a clean wine or champagne yeast to achieve the desired ABV, sweetness, and mouthfeel. 
  Any thoughts? Any first hand experience?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: WLP 001 Starter for Mead
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:45:03 am »
Our club did a experiment for the 2014 NHC in Grand Rapids. Same must different yeast. One yeast was 1056/001, the Chico yeast. Staggered nutrient additions were used. It got to 15% ABV, but took longer than the wine yeasts. There were many wine yeasts that made mead that  tasted better to me, but some liked the Chico just fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!