Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggestions for Nugget hops  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Suggestions for Nugget hops
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:50:52 am »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for using Nugget. I picked up a pound on a whim late last year, I don't see them in a lot of recipes. I've got nugget, mosiac, lemondrop, cascade, crystal, and palisade. Any tips on combinations? I was planning on brewing a batch with about 90-95% pils, 5-10% Vienna.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Suggestions for Nugget hops
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:03 am »
Nugget can be subbed for Columbus pretty well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:41 am »
Nugget can be subbed for Columbus pretty well.

Yep. Bitter with Nugget and add 2 Cascade:1 Mosaic late and dry - would be tasty.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:07:36 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:05:05 pm »
Nugget is a good hop for bittering IPA's and American Stouts. I haven't found much use for them otherwise - they don't seem to contribute a lot of flavor when added late in the boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Invertalon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:55:06 pm »
I absolutely love using Nugget in late and dry hop additions. Such a great hop. My NE DIPA that was loaded with Nugget was a huge success with all my snobby NE IPA friends. They keep asking for me to brew it again and always suprised when I tell them it was so Nugget heavy.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:28 am »
Nugget in large quantities will develop a really nice peach tea-like flavor. Still subtle by hop standards though and requires a massive load of hops.

It has that woody flavor you find in mosaic (it's one of mosaic's parents).
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:49:32 am »
I brewed a Brown Ale, American style, with homegrown Nugget and Cascade hops. Bittered with Nugget  and combo of Cascade and Nugget at 20 mins , 5 mins and KO . Then dryhopped with Nugget. The beer was delicious, I think Nugget would be good in a dark beer like Stout or Porter.  I get herbal and woody notes using average amounts.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:21 pm »
I used Nugget to bitter a whole slew of recent beers, and found it to be a very versatile bittering hop.  I've never used it for late additions, though.