Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemongrass  (Read 4582 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Lemongrass
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:08:18 pm »
I bought a few shoots today. I have never used it. I have a kolsch that is finished and wanted to add lemon grass to it. I was hoping to just add it to a corvy with a surescreen on dip tube. Do you guys think this will be ready in a few days? How much should I use?

I'm asking because I need to have it done by Friday. ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:37:52 pm »
I bought a few shoots today. I have never used it. I have a kolsch that is finished and wanted to add lemon grass to it. I was hoping to just add it to a corvy with a surescreen on dip tube. Do you guys think this will be ready in a few days? How much should I use?

I'm asking because I need to have it done by Friday. ;)

I bet it's ready by then, Keith. I've never brewed with it but I do cook with it in things like Asian soups - granted there is heat applied there. But regardless, it infuses quicker when you use something like meat mallet to crush it, then let it steep. If you crush it and get it steeping in a bag quickly I'll bet you pick up some nice character by then. The alcohol should help extract it.

Edit - In a mild beer like kolsch, I'd think a couple 8 or 10" shoots crushed would give enough flavor.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:45:35 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:59 pm »
 Email Kona. They have a lemongrass beer at the pubs.

Offline mikepires17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:59:50 am »
You could try using lemondrop hops next time. I used them in a saison once and got a lemongrass/citrus flavor out of them.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:07 am »
Well, looks like I handled the lemongrass wrong. I didn't pulverize it just shredded it. Almost no lemongrass flavor. Back to the drawing board.

I love the idea of Lemondrop hops except that I'm not sure how easy they would be to obtain in bulk. This is for a local organization (Huntsville Botanical Society) and they want to keep it on draft and in bottles so I'd have to have a contract for the hops or they would have to be plentiful on the spot market, but I will look into their availability. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 06:51:49 am »
Well, looks like I handled the lemongrass wrong. I didn't pulverize it just shredded it. Almost no lemongrass flavor. Back to the drawing board.

I love the idea of Lemondrop hops except that I'm not sure how easy they would be to obtain in bulk. This is for a local organization (Huntsville Botanical Society) and they want to keep it on draft and in bottles so I'd have to have a contract for the hops or they would have to be plentiful on the spot market, but I will look into their availability. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, Keith. I was hoping my suggestion would help. The character comes out well in soups, but obviously that's heated.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:34:48 pm »

Not sure how much you need, or how much you pay per pound on the pro market, but YVH has 13 pounds in stock from the 2015 harvest on sale right now:

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/hopslemondrop1-2015crop.htm
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:48 pm »
Just kegged my blonde ale with lime zest and lemongrass.

I use a microplane to grate it and throw it in the boil with 5 minutes remaining. I have used it in the secondary which made it much more powerful.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:49 am »
I made a lemongrass hefeweizen . I did fresh lemongrass in the boil (last 10 minutes) and then some fresh lemongrass paste in the secondary and came out great

I am going to make a lemongrass kolsch (my ginger koslch recipe but replace the ginger with lemongrass) shortly too

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:02:44 am »
I found that better results with lemongrass and beer happen from stripping all the green leaves off the stalk to reveal only the white cane. Cut that cane into thin slices and add very late in the boil.

The green leaves will definitely leave some grassy polyphenols in the beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:06 am »
I found that better results with lemongrass and beer happen from stripping all the green leaves off the stalk to reveal only the white cane. Cut that cane into thin slices and add very late in the boil.

yes, agree with this 100% . Last 10 minutes in the boil worked well from me, only use the stalk.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:32:14 am »

yes, agree with this 100% . Last 10 minutes in the boil worked well from me, only use the stalk.

How much did you add to the boil?
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Mythguided Brewing

• 1st Kit
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:29:57 am »
I used freeze-dried lemongrass for a White IPA a while back and it turned out great, but the flavor/aroma was extremely subtle (@ rate of 6 grams per gal in last 10 minutes of the boil). 

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »

This got me thinking.
I love lemon pepper when I cook (especially whenever I cook salmon).

Extend that to lemon-pepper in a saison - using lemongrass and grains of paradise.
Any thoughts? What about proportions?

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge