Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: And the opposite of volcano beers  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
And the opposite of volcano beers
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:21:21 pm »
   I have 2 1/2 cases of a dopplebock which was brewed last September and wasn't ready to bottle before I got shut down in October, so it sat in the beer fridge, in the conical until a couple weeks age when I finally was able to bottle it. I debated pitching some fresh yeast at the time I primed it, but unfortunately my more rational, cautious and sensible side lost the debate and I just bottled it as is. It has been exactly 2 weeks today and I popped one open just to see how things were progressing and it is dead flat. It's been in a 50 degree room and I realize that bottle conditioning will take more time at lower temps, but I'm thinkin' I massively screwed up, even if it does taste okay. It was fermented with 34/70, and there was a very thin film of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I'm not set up to keg, and not planning on being so in the immediate future. Any ideas, other than to just leave it for a few months and see if anything develops?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: And the opposite of volcano beers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:28:02 pm »
I've never bottle conditioned a lager before but 50 degrees seems pretty cold to expect carbonation in 2 weeks.
Since the beer sat in primary for about 3 months, I'd guess that a lot of the yeast dropped out of suspension prior to bottling.
The "thin film of sediment" on the bottom of the bottle may be yeast or just other stuff that got re-suspended when you bottled.
I'd invert the bottles and re-suspend the sediment and then put the bottles where it is around 70 degrees for a couple of weeks.
Worst case scenario is opening each bottle and putting a tiny amount of yeast in each bottle and re-sealing. This would be a major PITA to me.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan