Can anyone convince me the hint of diacetyl I'm getting is NOT from contamination? It is NOT extremely evident in the aroma outside of a faint honey like sweetness and muting of the hop aroma. There is a certain fullness and slickness to the mouthfeel. I did warm some up in the microwave and the aroma got much stronger. Again, sweet and rich smelling, but not butterscotch or popcorn.
If this is a maturation/fermentation issue I'll sleep much better at night. My concern is that this is from a wild yeast or bacteria infection, since the source will be much more difficult to track down.
My main question is how long do pedio and other lactic producing bacteria (or wild yeast) take to produce noticeable diacetyl? My understanding is that with reasonable sanitation procedures and traditional beer yeast fermentation, it would take a while for the spoiling agent to make an impact. This beer is only 2 weeks old. If it was indeed infected, wouldn't I also notice a lack of body and other offensive aromas and flavors?
Does any one have any methods which I use to eliminate infection as the potential cause of the big D? I've been brewing for 6 years and am obsessive about sanitation. Any ideas?