Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Disasters  (Read 2320 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Yeast Disasters
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:07:50 pm »
Post your worst yeast-related disasters here!  I had one yesterday...

I boiled up some wide-mouth quart jars to save some slurry.  I had three nice quarts of slurry on my table, settling out.  I walked past and noticed a little bit of brown liquid, and thought, "Now how could that have overflowed?"  I picked up the jar, and BAM!!  The bottom of the jar fell off and the quart of slurry went everywhere.  Wasn't expecting THAT! 

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Yeast Disasters
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »
No replies?  Jeez, you guys must be careful yeast-ranchers.

A couple years ago, I was showing my mother-in-law how to activate the smack pack.  I was holding it in front of her and smacked it, and the upper corner of the pack burst open, showering her with yeast.  It was a total, "What the heck just happened?" moment - priceless. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:46:35 pm »
"watch this!"

Online swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:55:49 am »
I boiled my yeast starter in my 1 L flask on my stove many years ago. I didn't let it cool down enough before I added it to the sink with ice cubes. It cracked in the sink and that was the end of that flask and the yeast. I only boil in ss pots now.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:55:01 am »
I was cutting it close with only a smack-pack, no starter. Had already begun the brew. Smacked the pack and half the contents went flying across the kitchen. WTF! It is a smack-pack after all! And, at 165 lbs, I'm not exactly Arnold Swartzenegger!

I gave up Wyeast for a while after that. Now I'm mostly all dry yeast anyway, so it isn't likely to happen again.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:40:59 am »
The biggest yeast "disaster" I've had was pitching the wrong yeasts.  Brewed two batchs - imperial stout and Belgian something.

Reversed the yeasts when I pitched.  The Belgian stout was not bad, but not what I planned.  I have no recollection about the intended Belgian.  I may have caught the problem before I pitched that one.  Don't remember.

Man was I angry.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 09:51:49 am »
I was cutting it close with only a smack-pack, no starter. Had already begun the brew. Smacked the pack and half the contents went flying across the kitchen. WTF! It is a smack-pack after all! And, at 165 lbs, I'm not exactly Arnold Swartzenegger!

I gave up Wyeast for a while after that. Now I'm mostly all dry yeast anyway, so it isn't likely to happen again.

Some people take the word "smack" too literally!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:01:06 am »
Doing a double batch and pitching the wrong strain into the wrong wort. Expletives flew. Did it twice.

Not enough headspace in my first fermenter. I had porter and yeast goo all over my ceiling. Expletives flew.

Jon H.

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:45 am »

Some people take the word "smack" too literally!  ;)

Not always though.  Since wyeast changed there packaging I've had 2 packages fail.  For the record I don't "smack" them either.  I generally trap the bag in the package under my hand and apply enough steady pressure to pop it.  It's no fun when everything sprays out the side of the package when you've barely applied any pressure at all.

I've also pitched starters into the wrong beers on brew days.  At least once, I think one of the beers was better.  8^)

Right now I have an overflowing blow off bucket that I need to clean up (and keep forgetting to).  I decided to use a smaller container than usual which was apparently a mistake.

Sometimes yeast happens.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

A couple years ago, I was showing my mother-in-law how to activate the smack pack.  I was holding it in front of her and smacked it, and the upper corner of the pack burst open, showering her with yeast.  It was a total, "What the heck just happened?" moment - priceless.

This made me laugh out loud.  Absolutely hilarious. Would've loved to see the look on both your faces after that!
Thanks for cracking me up!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »

This made me laugh out loud.  Absolutely hilarious. Would've loved to see the look on both your faces after that!

Yeah - I was holding back from saying this before - total yeast facial.  And she was sitting at her computer, so it went all over the keyboard too.  Smooth.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
Canned air won't clean that out!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
I had a glass carboy that I filled too full. The next day I checked on it to find yeast coming out of the air lock. I took the bung / air lock out of the carboy to watch the yeast flow out of the carboy like a Hawaiian volcano. I tried putting the bung / air lock back in so I could get a clean one. As soon as I let go of the bung it "blew up". Yeast hit me in the face and the ceiling. Needless to say I had to mop the ceiling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 11:40:48 am »

Yeah - I was holding back from saying this before - total yeast facial.  And she was sitting at her computer, so it went all over the keyboard too.  Smooth.

That is the image that exactly came to mind. Didn't want to say it as it was your relative and not mine. Still hilarious!!