Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pushing all grain  (Read 3810 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pushing all grain
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:20 am »
I thought extract was trending down.

Nope, other way around it appears.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:09 am »
I wonder how much of the switch to automated setups is just the market maturing. That's the only real upgrade most folks can make to the "typical" homebrewing system. I could see a lot of folks brewing on propane for a few years, then splurge on an automated system later.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 09:34:11 am »
Like any polling data, it always gets left out "of those who responded to the poll..."

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:03 am »
I wonder how much of the switch to automated setups is just the market maturing. That's the only real upgrade most folks can make to the "typical" homebrewing system. I could see a lot of folks brewing on propane for a few years, then splurge on an automated system later.

Based on what I know and see, I think a lot of the automated systems are the first system for the buyers.  It seems that fewer people "upgrade".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:10 pm »

Based on what I know and see, I think a lot of the automated systems are the first system for the buyers.  It seems that fewer people "upgrade".

I upgraded to a Grainfather.  Started brewing with can kits, moved to extract, then BIAB.  Not having a lot of space, the compact nature of the Grainfather is perfect for me.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 12:41:16 pm »

I upgraded to a Grainfather.  Started brewing with can kits, moved to extract, then BIAB.  Not having a lot of space, the compact nature of the Grainfather is perfect for me.
Williams brewing has a 300 dollar grainfather knockoff that looks kinda cool. How do you like your grainfather?

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »

Williams brewing has a 300 dollar grainfather knockoff that looks kinda cool. How do you like your grainfather?

I like it, it's easy to use, simple to clean, and makes good beer. I bought the new controller for it before xmas, but I've not had the chance to use it yet.  It would be good if it had a sight glass, as I struggle to read the markings inside the pot (where I brew indoors, I don't have the best light), and it whilst plenty of people use loose hops in it, I find it best to use a bag or spider to avoid clogging the pump filter.  There is definitely room for improvement, but at the time, the only other system on the market in the UK was the Braumeister at over twice the price.  I had a quick look at the Williams brewing system, and one thing I'd say is that the controller is in a tricky position to use, these systems really need to be sat on the floor, as lifting the grain basket and sparging if it's on a countertop would be a nightmare.
Dom

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »

IIRC, it doesn't do things the GF does.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:48 am »

IIRC, it doesn't do things the GF does.

Didn't look like it recirculated from the cursory look I had on their website last night.
Dom