Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB gravity question  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
BIAB gravity question
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:59 pm »
I use Beersmith and BrunWater.  Brunwater gave values for water additions and both programs are amazing.  I did a Belgian Pale Ale and used .80 gal mash water and 1.10 gal sparge water.  This was a one gallon batch, still in secondary as I type this.  Beersmith said I'd be at about 1.036 post mash gravity, I was at 1.039. I can accept that.  Post boil volume was to be at about 54 but I was at 67.  My post boil volume was just slightly less than one gallon.  I used a larger "spaghetti pot", larger than I needed.  I had to add water to adjust gravity to expected 54.  Could this higher gravity be from a "wider" pot and more evaporation or I "squeezed" the grain too hard before sparging?  Everything works out OK otherwise. After boil, I ended up, after a funnel/sieve, with about .80 gallons. My volumes seem weird?? Every batch I brew, extract or otherwise, I end up with less than the "brewed amount."

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: BIAB gravity question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:15:34 pm »
Not really kettle geometry can play a factor but if your boil off is more than expected then top up to 1 gal.  With such a small batch the .2 gallons will probably put you at the expected OG. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:15:39 pm »
Probably from higher evaporation rate than expected in the program.  Even at a stove top you are loosing more than 8% of starting volume.  It is adjustable in beer smith.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:40:59 am »
Thank you.  Yeah, the pot was pretty large with a very large surface area.  I'll adjust up in Beersmith and see what gives.  Thank you.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 05:09:13 am »
I'm not sure how relevant this since I'm brewing 5.75 gal batches, but with BIAB  I lose about a gallon less liquid in the boil than most sources indicate for normal sparge.  I do really squeeze the grain bag hard though.

Keeping good records and adjusting as needed will get you closer to the brew you want.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!