Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting them young  (Read 1567 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Starting them young
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
Got my five gallons of IPA bottled tonight. I had some help. My little girlie did an awesome job!! She was bummed when it was done. Kind of makes kegging a little less appealing.

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Starting them young
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:39:01 pm »
Nice work! My daughter is about that age and is an able assistant (when interested).
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:39:07 pm »
Cool. My five year old grandson was explaining to his mother what hops were the other day. Whoops. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:02:37 am »
It's fun when they want to help.  Kids pick up on everything which can be a blessing and a curse sometimes. 

My son, now an employed civil engineer, wasn't very interested in helping on brew days but learned an awful lot just being around the process.  In a freshman science class (high school) the teacher started a unit on yeast and asked the class if anyone knew what yeast was used for.  Mike said "brewing!" and gave a 10 minute improv on the mashing through bottling process.  The class eventually got around to things like bread and penicillin.  8^)

Keep that smile on her face as long as you can.  Memories last forever.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:25:51 am »
 Yeah, they sure do pick up quick. Sofie loves anything that involves cooking. She's 9 now. It was cute to see the intensity on her face while filling the bottles. She did a great job. got the fill level spot on and hardly spilled a drop. Every time she got the perfect fill she had to show her mom. She had a million questions and she kept saying she was sorry for asking so much. LOL I told her she can help next brew day.
  We've let her have little sips of our beer, wine, etc... and she's never liked any of it. She wanted to tste the IPA we were bottling, and wouldn't you know it, she loved it!!! That's my girl!!  8)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:57 am »
That's awesome! I got my own start in brewing helping my dad when I was about the same age as your daughter...both wine and beer. Sometimes my siblings and I grumbled if we had something else to do other than help bottle or pick fruit (ugh, buffalo berries...), but in retrospect there are a lot of great memories. It also planted the seed to what has been an incredibly enjoyable pastime, and a continuing topic of conversation with my dad.

Now I'm continuing the tradition with my son (currently four). He is a great brewing assistant, helping to measure out grains, pour out hops, stir the mash, etc. It's pretty awesome!
Facebook: Farke Brewing