Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over-Oaking my beer  (Read 861 times)

Offline abrown13470

• 1st Kit
Over-Oaking my beer
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:21:30 am »
Rookie mistake...

I am working on a Old Rasputin clone recipe (w/ extract) that I am "barrel-aging" with wood chips soaked in Maker's Mark. However, I'm afraid I have over-oaked it (4 oz. of woodchips in secondary for two weeks). Any way to remedy this or am I going to be drinking 5 gallons of tree bark for the next couple months?

I was considering making an identical batch of the recipe without the wood chips and mixing it and just having two kegs of it, but I didn't know if that would work...
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Over-Oaking my beer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:05:11 pm »
I believe the barrel character will fade a bit over time. However, brewing another batch and blending to taste would be a viable solution. I'm not sure you would have to blend 1:1. Taking a sample of the over oaked beer and blending in measured amounts then scaling to the full volume would be best.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:24:52 pm »
Usually with barrel or oak aging you want to go just past the point where it seem to be overpowering (especially when oaking a big beer like your RIS) because as stated above, those flavor contributions will fade over time nicely as the beer ages itself.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:37 am »
Oak goes through some weird phases in beer (and distilled spirits) in the first few weeks. Don't necessarily assume what it tastes like after a week or two is what the beer will taste like in a few more weeks.

I assume this is a five gallon batch. 0.80oz/gal is not an unreasonable amount of oak. If you wait out five or six weeks and feel it's too oaky then yes, you probably want to blend it down with an unoaked portion or a different unoaked beer. As mentioned in another comment, you may not need to blend out 1:1.

tl;dr: your beer will probably be fine
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline abrown13470

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »
OK, thanks for the replies! How long do you reckon I should age it? I was thinking three months.
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."