Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chili Recommendation  (Read 1742 times)

Offline polishsausage5150

• 1st Kit
Chili Recommendation
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:10:20 pm »
Hey all,

I'm going to be brewing a saison in a few weeks and I was initially wanting to do a jalapeno and cilantro saison. I really like those flavors and I think a saison would be a good vehicle to incorporate them into a beer.

I brewed an habanero saison a few years back and it had a really vegetable taste to it so I'm thinking of scrapping the jalapeno as they are similar taste and texture wise to the habanero. Any suggestions on what chili's you all have had success with in brewing that would pair well with the cilantro?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Chili Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »
Cilantro can be pretty variable with people.  Some love it, some hate it, some think it tastes like soap, and some get a physically upset stomach from it.  It's not a great crowd pleaser.

However, with that in mind.  You could go buy a couple straight, plain commercial saisons and do a taste test yourself with cilantro and different peppers - see what works the best for your taste buds.  It's a very approximate method but perhaps a first-hand experience is best even if it's a little skewed.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:17:42 pm »
Try making a tincture with vodka and dehydrated chili peppers.  A lot less vegetable flavor and really easy to adjust the intensity post-fermentation. 
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline MerlinWerks

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »
+1

Tincture is the method I use a well. FWIW, I've had good experience with this method and fresh peppers as well...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:07:33 am »
Serrano peppers seem to work well for dark beers. Actually I've always done a blend.

Offline docjdy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »
Just tasted a saison with chilies at an event in Ann Arbor, Michigan . It had just the right amount of spice/hot in it.  He said he used 4 habaƱeros in secondary for seven days. It was a ten gallon batch.   Also said he froze them prior to kill any bacteria.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »
Just tasted a saison with chilies at an event in Ann Arbor, Michigan . It had just the right amount of spice/hot in it.  He said he used 4 habaƱeros in secondary for seven days. It was a ten gallon batch.   Also said he froze them prior to kill any bacteria.

I have used 2 split habs in the keg for a few days in a wit with good success. It was fermented with pineapple and dry hopped with citra so it was pretty interesting to say the least.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:04:01 am »
Dried chili's like chili de arbol would be nice.  You can find them at any Latin grocery, saragas, even some walmarts.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)