Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small Batch Brewers - Let's Talk!  (Read 7982 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Small Batch Brewers - Let's Talk!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:19 am »
I'm amazed how many brew small

Actually, it seems to be the fastest growing demographic in the homebrew world.
This does not surprise me in the least.
Jesse

hogg44

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 12:04:57 pm »
1. Lately I've been doing double-batch brew days. So 1 gallon each of two different beers. Once in a while I will do just a single gallon. In the past I was doing about 1.8 gallons but decided I'd rather have 8-10 beers of two different styles than 15-16 of the same one.

2. I brew small batches mainly because I like variety and I love to brew and want to be able to do it as often as possible. I get burned out on one style of beer if I have too many of them (I almost never buy 12 packs). Also, I don't share as much as others seem to and my wife doesn't drink, so I have to drink almost all of what I make and if I'm making 5 gallons at a time, it would take half a year for me to drink a batch. Lastly, I don't have space to store that much beer at once.

3. All grain

4. Mash In A Bag in a small ice chest. Drain, squeeze, and boil outdoors over a propane burner in a 5-gallon canning pot. Ferment in a mini fridge w/ temp controller. Bottle after about 10 days. Drink after about 3 weeks. About 5.5 hours on brew day for a double batch or 3.5 for a single batch (water adjustments/measurements and grain measurements/milling are done a day or two ahead of time).

5. I love my little cooler. Works perfectly for what I do. I tried a larger, round Igloo cooler with the spout on the bottom and lost too much heat. I actually put my small cooler INSIDE of my larger camping cooler to maintain the heat a little better.

6. N/A - I've only done small batches.

7. I see a lot of "all that work for only 8 beers?!" Brewing isn't work. It's one of the most fun things I do. I love the "work." Last year, because I do small batches, I did about 24 batches. This year I plan to do 30 batches (29 different styles). If I brewed larger batches, I wouldn't get to do even half of that.

BTW, got Homebrew All-Stars for Christmas and have finished all of it except the "Wild Ones" section. I love it. Really cool to read about some of the All-Stars who are still using cheap, DIY equipment like us Average Joes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:10:11 pm by hogg44 »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 12:28:41 pm »

It's not the size it's how you brew it.
I'd say it's THAT you brew...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 07:01:58 pm »

It's not the size it's how you brew it.
I'd say it's THAT you brew...

I think about it.  Does that count?  Big thoughts, of course.  In case size matters.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:31 am »
1. What's your usual batch size? 2.5 gals
2. Why do you brew small batches? Only beer drinker in the house, plus I get to brew more often.
3. Do you brew, extract, partial mash, all grain? All grain
4. What's your basic process?  I.E., BIAB, tiny cooler (😉), just stir in the extract, etc. Cooler - no sparge, or biab, Speidel fermenter, keg .
5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches? My 7 gal cooler with added custom insulation.
6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you compare the two in terms of effort? Harder on my back (no pump)  Time? Negligible   Equipment needs? What I have already would allow me to brew 5 gals, although a pump sure would help.  Recipe consistency? Negligible.
7. What am I missing that should be known about small batch brewing? You may have an edge when it comes to control of the final product, less weight and and less volume of beer to handle, allows me an easier more enjoyable brew day.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »
1. What's your usual batch size? 2.5 gallons.
2. Why do you brew small batches? Allows for more frequent brewing. I'm a bottler. There are only two beer consumers in the house and both don't drink much. I feel no guilt in dumping stuff for any reason.
3. Do you brew, extract, partial mash, all grain? All grain.
4. What's your basic process?  Cooler, brew bag, no sparge, low oxygen.
5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches? Double Cu coils in ice buckets fed into a SS chiller makes chilling wort (even to lager temps) unbelievably fast.
6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you compare the two in terms of effort? Almost no difference unless I do BIAB in the kitchen, then it seems easier/shorter because there's less equipment.
Time? Negligible. 
Equipment needs? Most of my equipment I previously brewed 5 gallon batches with works just fine for 2.5 gallon batches. 
Recipe consistency? Negligible.
7. What am I missing that should be known about small batch brewing? No matter how good of a beer I've made, my wife and I have never really wanted more than a dozen or so bombers of it to drink ourselves.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 02:38:13 pm »
1. What's your usual batch size? 2.5 gallon
2. Why do you brew small batches? I can consume  2.5 gallons (sometimes even that's too much beer)
3. Do you brew, extract, partial mash, all grain?  All Grain
4. What's your basic process?  I.E., BIAB, tiny cooler (😉), just stir in the extract, etc. Zymatic but I brewed 2.5 gallon BIAB prior.
5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches? Now it is the Zymatic. When I brewed BIAB I really liked the smallest Speidel.
6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you comapre the two in terms of effort?  Time?  Equipment needs?  Recipe consistency? The cleanup was much easier with the 2.5 batch. Cool down is really fast. I can easily brew in my kitchen. If my wife didn't mind and I didn't have to carry all of my stuff upstairs to the kitchen brewing 2.5 BIAB was actually easier for me than the Zymatic as far as clean up.
7. What am I missing that should be known about small batch brewing?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 02:21:52 pm »
1. What's your usual batch size?

My batch size varied quite a bit, but I did a lot of 0.75-2.5 gallon batches while I was in chicagoland.

2. Why do you brew small batches?

limitation of space, left my equipment in storage. Was drinking it by myself (Plus the occasional bottle to club meetings).

3. Do you brew, extract, partial mash, all grain?

All grain, biab with batch sparge.

4. What's your basic process?  I.E., BIAB, tiny cooler (😉), just stir in the extract, etc.

Biab at maximum volume set to 4 gallons. Run off ratio generally 4:1. Pulley + bag. Induction +BIAB is an awesome small batch setup.

5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches?

BIAB bag? Induction burner? Consistency is a lot harder with small batches, are your boil off rate will play a much large role than in 5 or 10 gal batches, so I measure my volumes using an accurate stainless ruler. 0.01g accuracy scale for hops, minerals, etc. Refractometers are a god send here as well due to practically no loss of wort.

6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you compare the two in terms of effort?  Time?  Equipment needs?  Recipe consistency?

Consistency is a a good deal harder when you get below 2 gallons. Equipment is much cheaper, you can get a 4-5 gal pot for $20 that's induction ready.

I had some huge issues with packaging/siphoning and bottling. I could not for the life of me figure out a way to get a good siphon going without oxidation. I settled on tubing + stainless T barb fitting and a hose clamp (similar to the "$3 auto siphon" thread at HBT).

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »
*It averages 2.5 gallons. 1 at 5 gallons and 1 at 1 gallon equals 2.5 gallons :)
*Like I said, only did ONE.  But, the ability to test recipes, smaller footprint, try grain out for once.  It seems just so "cool" compared to the large carboys and kettles.
*1 extract, 1 all grain but the all grain was very, very cool.  Like...VERY cool. 
4. What's your basic process?  I.E., BIAB, tiny cooler (😉), just stir in the extract, etc.
*BIAB
5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches?
*Thermoworks thermometer is the bomb.  Reads in about 2 seconds.  Love it. 
6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you comapre the two in terms of effort?  Time?  Equipment needs?  Recipe consistency?
*Not much savings in time or prep, but savings in space and equipment.  Can use more household stuff.
*The market needs a mini grainfather type of device that can do all in one batches up to 2-3 gallons.

Thanks so much for your time.  I owe you all a beer!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 10:54:11 am »
For me I enjoy the 2.5 gallon
I enjoy the case or less of beer I have not perfected.
I BIAB
Something I always use with my SB BIAB but not my full batches is the stove top and a strainer.  Same 5 gallons paint strainer and a good stock pot.
I build my recipe and tweak as necessary, it's very simple to double or triple a batch ingredients.
The water adjustments is definitely the hardest part for me with the small batches.  A GREAT scale is always good to have on hand.  Good syringe for acids etc.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

hogg44

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 12:26:20 pm »
I measure my volumes using an accurate stainless ruler

Great idea. One of those "duh, why didn't I think of that?" things. Thanks.

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 03:25:08 pm »
I'll be embarking on a small-batch series of brews for side-by-side comparison purposes and test brews to see if I like a recipe, malt, or hop before I do a full 10-12 gallon batch. Nothing much to contribute yet. I've got a bunch of 5L Fido glass jars, and I drilled the glass lids with 2 holes each for airlocks and thermowells. Planning to start this weekend. We'll see if my wife lets me get away with brewing in the house on the stove. She's not too fond of the smells of brew day.

Denny, no need to buy me a beer. Just bring me a bottle of your latest the next time you're in Bend, and I'll buy you a pint when we go to fill some growlers at the fill station down the street from my house. :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 10:33:34 am »
I'll be embarking on a small-batch series of brews for side-by-side comparison purposes and test brews to see if I like a recipe, malt, or hop before I do a full 10-12 gallon batch. Nothing much to contribute yet. I've got a bunch of 5L Fido glass jars, and I drilled the glass lids with 2 holes each for airlocks and thermowells. Planning to start this weekend. We'll see if my wife lets me get away with brewing in the house on the stove. She's not too fond of the smells of brew day.

Denny, no need to buy me a beer. Just bring me a bottle of your latest the next time you're in Bend, and I'll buy you a pint when we go to fill some growlers at the fill station down the street from my house. :)

You may wait a long time for that!  I love Bend but I haven't been over there in years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 01:13:37 pm »
Alright, finally did my first small batch yesterday. Overall, it went very well! Hit my numbers right on the nose, which was surprising for a first batch with a whole new setup.

1.1 gallons into a 5L fermenter. Or, in this case, I put 1.3 gallons into a 2.5 gallon fermenter, as I didn't get quite the boil-off I expected.

I wanted to get into a routine of turning out a quick and easy batch every weekend so I could test recipes, methods, and other side-by-side variables. My first goal is to nail down a good grain bill for single-hop recipes, then to do a series of those.

All grain, full volume. This looks like about 1.75 gallons mashing volume for a 1.1 gallon batch.

I used a paint strainer bag this last time but I'm going to fabricate a voile bag for this batch size. I heated the water in my 3 gallon stock pot, milled my grain into the bag which was placed over a large bowl, then dunked the bag in the pot of water and stretched the opening over the rim. Once everything was stirred in really well for a couple of minutes, and I had the temperature on point (150F) I placed a lid on the pot and put the whole thing in a pre-warmed oven that was turned off just prior. The oven was at 170F or so, I let it cool just a bit with the door open. I pulled the pot at 30 minutes to stir everything up and check the temperature, which had risen to about 153F. I let it cool just a bit and then put it back in for another 30 minutes. By the end, the temp had fallen to 149F. I stirred it up again and then pulled the grain bag out and squeezed all of the liquid out of it (silicone gloves help here). I got a higher than expected mash efficiency from this, but also a bit more volume than I needed, so it balanced out perfectly. Boiled as usual, 60 minutes with hops at 60, 15, and 0. At flameout I put the lid on the pot and put it in the sink with cold running water to chill. Dumped everything through a strainer into my fermenter to get the leaf hops out, and pitched my yeast when it was down to the right temperature.

It's so nice having a 3-gallon pot. It's easy to manage and it fits in the oven, but it's plenty big enough for up to 2 gallons, I'd reckon. Ferm-cap wasn't necessary this boil, but I'll definitely keep it on hand for larger boils if I need it - I can handle a boil-over in the garage, but not in the kitchen! I also think a grain bag is key for my situation. Full-volume mashing is nice. That said, I do have a couple of side-by-side hop tests that I'm planning to do one large mash in a 5-gallon cooler, and split the wort for separate boils, but that will probably require sparging. Here again, though, is where I'm digging the idea of a grain bag instead of bothering with a manifold of any sort.

6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you compare the two in terms of effort?  Time?  Equipment needs?  Recipe consistency?
I can't say much for consistency yet, but effort and time were much lower, mainly owing to quick clean up and faster heating times. I also don't need to worry about pumps, HERMS, channeling, or really a lot of other "big batch" concerns that I normally have to deal with on 12-gallon days.

I love it! Wish I'd thought of it a lot sooner. I can see this being the way I get good at brewing consistently. When I'm doing big batches, I want something great, but I don't mind experimenting when it's 1 gallon at a time. I've got a whole list of things I want to test, new recipes to build, hops and grains to compare, etc. I'd never have the time, patience, or money to be so methodical on a large scale.