Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 41 -Earthbound and Down  (Read 1262 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-41-earthbound-and-down

We're loaded up and trucking right through your feedback.

In the pub, we enjoy a pint or two while looking back at a big retirement, talking some new guidelines and wondering maybe we've been looking at the whole "bubble" thing wrongly.

We stop in the brewery to look at Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye recipe and why Denny gave them a bunch of guff for it when they were making it. (Plus Drew's weird feelings about late additions of Magnum)

Then in the Lounge, Denny talks to Rebecca Schranz - the Queen of Getting s*** Done- at St. Louis's Earthbound Beer about expansion, taking over an old brewery space and what happens when you find a hand to god Bat Cave in your cellar.

Finally we tackle questions we can answer. Drop a quick tip on ya and Drew reveals he's deeply weird about notebooks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 41 -Earthbound and Down
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:00 pm »
I enjoyed it, as usual, Denny.  I also reviewed some of the posted links relating to the whole craft beer scene and I found those to be very interesting and insightful.  The effects of the large conglomerate acquisitions are rippling through the industry as each brewery is acquired.  Battles for taps and shelf space continue to be waged daily (with market power making it a pretty unfair fight in favor of the big guys); I hope the little guys can hold out, but I think Drew may be onto something in terms of a shift in paradigm away from the mid-sized brewers...and the analogy to restaurant lifecycles and their geographic markets/marketing seems very likely to become the case for craft brewing (however that may ultimately be defined).

Keep up the good work!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 41 -Earthbound and Down
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:20 pm »
I enjoyed it, as usual, Denny.  I also reviewed some of the posted links relating to the whole craft beer scene and I found those to be very interesting and insightful.  The effects of the large conglomerate acquisitions are rippling through the industry as each brewery is acquired.  Battles for taps and shelf space continue to be waged daily (with market power making it a pretty unfair fight in favor of the big guys); I hope the little guys can hold out, but I think Drew may be onto something in terms of a shift in paradigm away from the mid-sized brewers...and the analogy to restaurant lifecycles and their geographic markets/marketing seems very likely to become the case for craft brewing (however that may ultimately be defined).

Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much!  I thought Drew's analogy was great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell