Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Competition Chat  (Read 29177 times)

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: 2017 NHC Competition Chat
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:08 am »
Thanks Jeff
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2017, 09:12:25 am »
'
So I got my scoresheets back and did OK, low to mid 30's. Cool thing is, as I'm reading, I look at the 2 judges names who scored my american amber and suddenly realized...  I have heard these names before. Turns out one ( I won't mention any names ) was featured in Denny ad Drew's "Homebrew Allstars" and the other, among many other accolades, has lectured at NHC. You gotta love a hobby where your peers are so accessible. :)
Did you enter in the South?
Yes, Tampa where I received a good score and advice on my amber ale from a BJCP Master Judge..... ;)
Cool.  I hope it was accurate. 
We had six Master judges over that weekend in Tampa.  I was mostly setting up flights and tables and only got a chance to judge one flight over five sessions.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pepperford

• 1st Kit
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2017, 11:55:38 am »
I have a question concerning a re-brew for the second round. I have a saison that went in as a standard strength. Can I change it to a table strength, or is that not permitted? I just happen to make a table version a couple weeks ago and it's tasting pretty good. I'm also brewing two more because I can't stop myself.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:07 pm »
I didn't realize they were releasing scoresheets for beers that advanced. I haven't received anything from Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2017, 03:14:57 pm »
I haven't received anything from Indy.

I haven't either. With this being the first region done, I'd think soon. I had mine before this time last year. Ehh whatever, it takes a while.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 03:43:53 pm »
I could care less actually. I was going by the rules page. It said score sheets for the top 3 wouldn't be released until all regions were complete. I could have read that wrong. My Triple advanced, but I got nothing. It is oxidized in the keg. Trying to rebrew a Triple for the finals is futile IMO. Entered at the last minute, next year I'll bottle condition.

Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
I could care less actually. I was going by the rules page. It said score sheets for the top 3 wouldn't be released until all regions were complete. I could have read that wrong. My Triple advanced, but I got nothing. It is oxidized in the keg. Trying to rebrew a Triple for the finals is futile IMO. Entered at the last minute, next year I'll bottle condition.

Congrats on advancing anyway!

Edit - I could actually care less, either. Not the first rodeo. Always interesting to read the feedback, though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:58:39 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2017, 04:11:54 pm »
'
So I got my scoresheets back and did OK, low to mid 30's. Cool thing is, as I'm reading, I look at the 2 judges names who scored my american amber and suddenly realized...  I have heard these names before. Turns out one ( I won't mention any names ) was featured in Denny ad Drew's "Homebrew Allstars" and the other, among many other accolades, has lectured at NHC. You gotta love a hobby where your peers are so accessible. :)
Did you enter in the South?
Yes, Tampa where I received a good score and advice on my amber ale from a BJCP Master Judge..... ;)
Cool.  I hope it was accurate. 
We had six Master judges over that weekend in Tampa.  I was mostly setting up flights and tables and only got a chance to judge one flight over five sessions.
Yes, I think you were spot on. It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, I believe I dry hopped it a bit heavier than I should have for an amber. It was better a month later as the hops mellowed a bit. I'm gonna re-brew it with 1/2 the dry hops and bump the malt bill up a bit.
Thanks for the guidance, I'm going to enter the modified version in our local comp this fall.
:)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:14:34 pm by Brewtweak »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:51 pm »

Congrats on advancing anyway!

Edit - I could actually care less, either. Not the first rodeo. Always interesting to read the feedback, though.
Thanks, everyone knows how hard it is to move on. The Brewers are so good, I was stoked with the news. I do want to see my scoresheets. I really thought it would have been my Kolsch. I'll blame it on the copper.

Jeff B

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2017, 01:52:58 pm »
I'm curious to see my scoresheets, particularly for the ones that didn't advance (well... most of them, I KNOW my Baltic Porter wasn't my best effort and I shouldn't have entered it).  Haven't received any score sheets yet (Philly).

Edit: spoke too soon. My scoresheets were waiting for me when I got home!

Man... I was all over the place this year.  2 in the 20s, 2 in the 30s, 1 40.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:07:22 pm by Hella Hazy »

Offline fat_bastard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2017, 02:04:00 pm »
whats up with sacramento? the other regions who judged had their results posted last week.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:32 am »
Funny, my lowest score advanced with 44 entries. Comps can be hit or miss.

Jeff B

Offline harper.lane

• 1st Kit
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
I checked with John Moorhead at the AHA regarding the hold-up with Sacramento - he mentioned a shortage of judges prevented them from finishing on the planned days so the judging went into this last weekend. 

The World Cup of Beer and the California State Fair Homebrew competitions were all around the same time as NHC, which probably contributed to being short on judges.

He said that all Sac results should be validated by Friday April, 21st.

Offline fat_bastard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2017, 02:11:10 pm »
I checked with John Moorhead at the AHA regarding the hold-up with Sacramento - he mentioned a shortage of judges prevented them from finishing on the planned days so the judging went into this last weekend. 

The World Cup of Beer and the California State Fair Homebrew competitions were all around the same time as NHC, which probably contributed to being short on judges.

He said that all Sac results should be validated by Friday April, 21st.

Thanks for the update, I hope they were able to get experienced judges.

Offline dfisher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2017, 03:45:51 pm »
Being my first year in the national comp, curious why they wouldn't wait to post all the results until all judging centers are done?

It seems unfair to someone in the Denver, Chicago locations. By the time they find out if they are moving on they have no time for a re-brew unlike the early judging centers where results have been available for for almost a month.