Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Competition Chat  (Read 28961 times)

Offline Mark

• 1st Kit
Re: 2017 NHC Competition Chat
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »
This was my 1st contest I entered 2 beers, one was an IPA that made it to a mini bos, do I find out how it did in the mini bos?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »
Typically, you only find out how you did in the mini bos by being one of the top three entries of the category.  But making it to mini bos put you in the top few!  (Depending on the size of the category entries, it could be as few as 4 to 6 or as many as 8 to 9 - I have rarely seen it greater than that, but I suppose it could happen.)  I wouldn't worry about the numbers - focus on the things mentioned and hope that the judges who scored your entry did a thorough job of evaluation.  If they did, you should be able to pick out the things that were well received and what might be the shortcomings in your beer. 

As an IPA, I imagine that it was up against some pretty steep competition, so your beer must have been pretty solid to advance to mini bos.  Congrats on that for a first-time entry!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Mark

• 1st Kit
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
Thanks for the info, it didn't advance, there were 36 entries in that category I believe.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:14:32 pm by Mark »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2017, 04:44:09 pm »
Typically, you only find out how you did in the mini bos by being one of the top three entries of the category.  But making it to mini bos put you in the top few!  (Depending on the size of the category entries, it could be as few as 4 to 6 or as many as 8 to 9 - I have rarely seen it greater than that, but I suppose it could happen.)  I wouldn't worry about the numbers - focus on the things mentioned and hope that the judges who scored your entry did a thorough job of evaluation.  If they did, you should be able to pick out the things that were well received and what might be the shortcomings in your beer. 

As an IPA, I imagine that it was up against some pretty steep competition, so your beer must have been pretty solid to advance to mini bos.  Congrats on that for a first-time entry!

There were 12 in the Indy minibos.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »
In Florida competitions we got tired of some beers moving on to the best of category round with no additional info so we added some notes for those brewers who advanced.  People who entered in the South will get some additional brief feedback if they advanced, just a little info on what the judges discussed in the mini best of show round.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2017, 05:44:35 pm »
In Florida competitions we got tired of some beers moving on to the best of category round with no additional info so we added some notes for those brewers who advanced.  People who entered in the South will get some additional brief feedback if they advanced, just a little info on what the judges discussed in the mini best of show round.

This is greatly appreciated by brewers that enter comps frequently. It can sometimes help us take a recipe/process to the next level. Thank you for that!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:34 pm »
Being my first year in the national comp, curious why they wouldn't wait to post all the results until all judging centers are done?

It seems unfair to someone in the Denver, Chicago locations. By the time they find out if they are moving on they have no time for a re-brew unlike the early judging centers where results have been available for for almost a month.

This gets asked every year.  It's not a matter of fairness or not.  There are some styles that should be rebrewed (IPA, Am Wheat, etc), and those that are impossible (Barleywine, Gueze, etc).

The best thing you can do is plan as though you will advance everything you entered, and rebrew the categories that need rebrewing regardless of whether you advance or not.  Best case, you are ready to go for 2nd round.  Worst case, you have some extra beer to share with your friends for when the weather turns nice.  Throw a BBQ for your friends and kick back and enjoy the June weather when they should be at their peak.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:16 pm »
Being my first year in the national comp, curious why they wouldn't wait to post all the results until all judging centers are done?

It seems unfair to someone in the Denver, Chicago locations. By the time they find out if they are moving on they have no time for a re-brew unlike the early judging centers where results have been available for for almost a month.

This gets asked every year.  It's not a matter of fairness or not.  There are some styles that should be rebrewed (IPA, Am Wheat, etc), and those that are impossible (Barleywine, Gueze, etc).

The best thing you can do is plan as though you will advance everything you entered, and rebrew the categories that need rebrewing regardless of whether you advance or not.  Best case, you are ready to go for 2nd round.  Worst case, you have some extra beer to share with your friends for when the weather turns nice.  Throw a BBQ for your friends and kick back and enjoy the June weather when they should be at their peak.

This is the correct answer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2017, 09:32:05 pm »
It would be nice if the shipping windows paralleled the judging dates. Some beers have to be shipped as much as a month and a half prior to being judged. I don't see a reason why that can't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2017, 06:06:38 am »

Yep, it's the easiest solution. My Dunkel didn't advance but I rebrewed as if it would, to keep the timeline on schedule. Having 5 more gallons of a good beer is never a bad thing!

Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2017, 06:29:08 am »

Not to mention this is how they did it a couple years ago and there were a lot more people complaining then.  I like the current system better.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2017, 07:03:55 am »
Also keep in mind the spread of judging dates, from March 17 thru April 23. I looked for a date that fit my schedule to plan for a re-brew if necessary and put that as my first choice.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:38 am »
It would be nice if the shipping windows paralleled the judging dates. Some beers have to be shipped as much as a month and a half prior to being judged. I don't see a reason why that can't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One issue is the judge pool size. It is not uncommon for judges to judge at 2 or more sites. I combined family visits with judging this year and did 3 sites.

Take St. Louis and Indianapolis. When I judged Indy, there were several from MO there, I know some from IN that went to St. Louis.

More judges are always welcome. A big competion can't run without them, or stewards.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

I think in theory this is a good idea, but I think in practice it would create a lot of confusion. From my experience running comps, many entrants still get confused about the basics of entering a homerbew comp. My bet is having staggered shipping deadlines for each region would cause heartburn from entrants not paying close enough attention and shipping too early/late. We see that in our fairly small comps since we have a different deadline for out of town LHBSs; there are always several who don't read the different deadlines for each drop off location.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:49 am »

Not so much enjoying the Phoenix weather in June.  ;)
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee