Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Competition Chat  (Read 29133 times)

Offline Badgerhead

• Cellarman
Re: 2017 NHC Competition Chat
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:16 am »
Anybody get their scoresheets back from San Diego yet?  My best bitter advanced and I'm really curious to know the actual score.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
Anybody get their scoresheets back from San Diego yet?  My best bitter advanced and I'm really curious to know the actual score.

I'm still waiting on mine from St. Louis and that was almost 4 weeks ago.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:05 am »
It would be nice if the shipping windows paralleled the judging dates. Some beers have to be shipped as much as a month and a half prior to being judged. I don't see a reason why that can't change.

I think in theory this is a good idea, but I think in practice it would create a lot of confusion. From my experience running comps, many entrants still get confused about the basics of entering a homerbew comp. My bet is having staggered shipping deadlines for each region would cause heartburn from entrants not paying close enough attention and shipping too early/late. We see that in our fairly small comps since we have a different deadline for out of town LHBSs; there are always several who don't read the different deadlines for each drop off location.
Good points.  I think it could be doable, but would require a lot of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2017, 11:44:51 am »

I'm still waiting on mine from St. Louis and that was almost 4 weeks ago.

I'm still waiting on SD as well. I feel like they were a little quicker the last few years, but I get that stuffing envelopes and mailing them is time consuming and a pain. I'll bring up scoresheet turn around time and digitalization to the comp committee next go round and see if any good ideas emerge.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline Badgerhead

• Cellarman
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »

I'm still waiting on SD as well. I feel like they were a little quicker the last few years, but I get that stuffing envelopes and mailing them is time consuming and a pain. I'll bring up scoresheet turn around time and digitalization to the comp committee next go round and see if any good ideas emerge.

I'm sure its a massive undertaking.  Is that all done by local volunteers?  I'm totally ignorant of the process, but it must be a ton of work.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:18 pm »

I'm sure its a massive undertaking. Is that all done by local volunteers?  I'm totally ignorant of the process, but it must be a ton of work.

Yep. All part of the glamorous job of running a competition.  8)
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee

Offline jvoeltz

• Cellarman
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2017, 01:02:44 am »
It would be nice if the shipping windows paralleled the judging dates. Some beers have to be shipped as much as a month and a half prior to being judged. I don't see a reason why that can't change.

I think in theory this is a good idea, but I think in practice it would create a lot of confusion. From my experience running comps, many entrants still get confused about the basics of entering a homerbew comp. My bet is having staggered shipping deadlines for each region would cause heartburn from entrants not paying close enough attention and shipping too early/late. We see that in our fairly small comps since we have a different deadline for out of town LHBSs; there are always several who don't read the different deadlines for each drop off location.

I agree Dennis. Especially, since with the lottery, you don't know where you're sending brews until pretty late in the brew process anyways.

Besides, the people that are experienced enough in NHC to know about the perceived inequality of releasing results at different times, should also be the ones that plan rebrew schedules long before the first round results are out.

I mean, udubdawg and I aren't the only ones with a planned brew schedule for NHC 2018, are we? ;)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:57 am »

I agree Dennis. Especially, since with the lottery, you don't know where you're sending brews until pretty late in the brew process anyways.

Besides, the people that are experienced enough in NHC to know about the perceived inequality of releasing results at different times, should also be the ones that plan rebrew schedules long before the first round results are out.

I mean, udubdawg and I aren't the only ones with a planned brew schedule for NHC 2018, are we? ;)

Next year's mead is nearly finished...

I will say though that done properly getting scoresheets out shouldn't be a problem. When KC had the first round - and they requested it this year, even moving their annual competition to accommodate - all the sheets were packed into pre-labeled envelopes even while the last groups were finishing judging on Saturday.

Meanwhile I got my Indy sheets two days ago.

Offline fat_bastard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2017, 04:58:55 pm »
still waiting on sacramento results,wonder if they had to spend a 3rd weekend judging?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »
I got mine by email today from St. Louis.  They must have some other data base they are experimenting with to use email rather than postage.  We would have done that in the South if it had been available.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »
I have a question. I got my score sheets back from Indy and it states that my American Barleywine got second place, but on the winner's online page it has me down as third place. So, which one is it or do I have to wait for the ribbon ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
I have a question. I got my score sheets back from Indy and it states that my American Barleywine got second place, but on the winner's online page it has me down as third place. So, which one is it or do I have to wait for the ribbon

I would trust the winners page since the results get verified by the AHA. Error are more frequent in the cover sheet. But, I'd recommend emailing John Moorhead and asking about the discrepancy. Either way, congrats on advancing!
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:13 am »
I got mine by email today from St. Louis.  They must have some other data base they are experimenting with to use email rather than postage.  We would have done that in the South if it had been available.

I judged up in Denver this past weekend and they were also scanning score sheets.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee

Offline jse79

• 1st Kit
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:31 am »
Any insights from the Sacramento judging centre?  It seems like the results are coming out slower than the other competition sights - I wonder if they had a higher volume of beers to judge?

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2017, 01:04:54 pm »
Any insights from the Sacramento judging centre?  It seems like the results are coming out slower than the other competition sights - I wonder if they had a higher volume of beers to judge?

Someone posted a little earlier that they didn't finish up on time. They had several big competitions in the area so seemed to have issue getting everything done on time. It's definitely not a volume issue as all the regions had similar numbers of entries.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee