Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Competition Chat  (Read 28959 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 2017 NHC Competition Chat
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2017, 04:28:02 pm »
A category will have several judge pairs in a big competition. The Judge pair goes through the beers, and if they think there are some worthy of going to the second round they push those to mini-BoS. The beers selected go against the beers the other judge pairs selected. This puts the selected beers in a head to head tasting, which can equalize judge pairs that were strict or lenient in the scores. The beers have been judged, so no scores assigned, any defects picked up result in the beers being kicked out of the running (this is where the second bottle is used, and sometimes it has a problem). Style accuracy is a big factor. Eventually the final 3 are up for 1,2,3, and those are discussed and they are assigned places based on the judges impressions.

The judges that are in the mini-BoS are usually the ranking judges for the category that session. At the NHC you get GM, Master, National, sometimes Certified doing the mini-BoS.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2017, 04:43:55 pm »
A category will have several judge pairs in a big competition. The Judge pair goes through the beers, and if they think there are some worthy of going to the second round they push those to mini-BoS. The beers selected go against the beers the other judge pairs selected. This puts the selected beers in a head to head tasting, which can equalize judge pairs that were strict or lenient in the scores. The beers have been judged, so no scores assigned, any defects picked up result in the beers being kicked out of the running (this is where the second bottle is used, and sometimes it has a problem). Style accuracy is a big factor. Eventually the final 3 are up for 1,2,3, and those are discussed and they are assigned places based on the judges impressions.

The judges that are in the mini-BoS are usually the ranking judges for the category that session. At the NHC you get GM, Master, National, sometimes Certified doing the mini-BoS.
All in all, there is no other comp that gives Brewers the feedback from so many ranking judges. Most comps have one rank, and novice in training, understandably. I think the NHC does an outstanding job, for the most part, getting it right. Many thanks to all the judges that judge. The competition is stiff, and the Mini BOS is a great way to get there. Even though most of mine got the mini-BOS kick in the cojones, I do think you all do a great job. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Badgerhead

• Cellarman
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2017, 04:49:53 pm »

Thank you!  That really helped me get my head around the process.

Offline JWM1484

• 1st Kit
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:48 pm »
Any one having problems logging into the finals website?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline Badgerhead

• Cellarman
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »
Any one having problems logging into the finals website?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The email I got said that they are still working on the Finals website, and that it will be ready by Monday the 8th.  It has been in flux all day - earlier it still had the 2016 info.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2017, 04:40:49 am »
Yea, I couldn't print labels yet for the finals, so it must be in transition still.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline scook13339

• 1st Kit
« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
It is now Tuesday Morning on May 9 and I still can't get into the final's site. It won't even let me log in and when I try to reset password it doesn't recognize me at all. Is anyone getting in?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2017, 08:50:56 am »
how about one day extension of the deadline for shipping to June 2?
Gives people a much better chance to ship after the three-day holiday weekend and still get it there.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #233 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:38 am »
Just received another email that they are still working on the site.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:34 am »
Gives people a much better chance to ship after the three-day holiday weekend and still get it there.

Agreed -- The timing of the deliveries is particularly problematic this year, due to the Memorial Day weekend - if you want to send them as close as possible to the end of the entry period, either you send the entries in mid-week the week before (and hope for the best in terms of receipt on 5-26 and cold storage prior to Memorial Day weekend) or let them sit in transit (who knows where) over Memorial Day weekend for delivery on or after 5-29, or hope that they can be sent on 5-29 for delivery on 6-1 (with no delivery glitches).  Or you RDWHAHB and send them early and live with the handling and storage on the other end...I may just opt for the latter and hope for the best, despite not re-brewing my entries.  Hey, I'm just happy to be advancing a beer at this point.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
I'm still waiting on my score sheets from Chicago.  Has anyone received them yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #236 on: May 10, 2017, 07:19:09 am »
Making sure website is not working, despite email sent on Monday, May 8.
I cannot login. Prompt states "Sorry, there was a problem with your last login attempt. Please make sure your email address and password are correct." but it does work in the Regional site.
BTW - password reset does not work either....

Anybody knows...
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #237 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:11 am »
Making sure website is not working, despite email sent on Monday, May 8.
I cannot login. Prompt states "Sorry, there was a problem with your last login attempt. Please make sure your email address and password are correct." but it does work in the Regional site.
BTW - password reset does not work either....

Anybody knows...
The last email I received yesterday 05-09, indicated they would let me know when site was up and running.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:23 am »

Agreed -- The timing of the deliveries is particularly problematic this year, due to the Memorial Day weekend - if you want to send them as close as possible to the end of the entry period, either you send the entries in mid-week the week before (and hope for the best in terms of receipt on 5-26 and cold storage prior to Memorial Day weekend) or let them sit in transit (who knows where) over Memorial Day weekend for delivery on or after 5-29, or hope that they can be sent on 5-29 for delivery on 6-1 (with no delivery glitches).  Or you RDWHAHB and send them early and live with the handling and storage on the other end...I may just opt for the latter and hope for the best, despite not re-brewing my entries.  Hey, I'm just happy to be advancing a beer at this point.

entry deadline now says June 2nd, so if John was reading what we said, thanks.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:39 pm »
Michael, where did you see that?  The "dates and deadlines" page still shows June 1st as the final day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk