Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2017 NHC Competition Chat  (Read 29145 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: 2017 NHC Competition Chat
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2017, 06:26:45 am »
When you have to score mid 40's to get through, wow!  Note to self, avoid Seattle as an alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they got bumped in mini-BOS.  I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the entries that got through are scored lower than his.  Happened to me many times.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:06 am »
When you have to score mid 40's to get through, wow!  Note to self, avoid Seattle as an alternate.

I'm sure they got bumped in mini-BOS.  I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the entries that got through are scored lower than his.  Happened to me many times.

people seem to have the tendency to think the high scores are "legit" and doubt the accuracy of the low ones.
I've seen a judge pair give a First Round IPA a 49/50.  It was the first one kicked in mini-BOS for overwhelming levels of diacetyl.  But that entrant only knows that a pair of judges loved his/her beer.  It leads to a low score later and an upset entrant "But these other guys said it was 49!"  well, they were wrong.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
Numbers vary among judge groupings, also.  Just had a reasonably good beer (British Strong Ale grouping) that I judged at mid 30's leapfrog over a mid 40's beer from another judge set in a miniBOS.  It was clearly superior and improved greatly from the time of my initial evaluation by warming up during the interim between when it was first judged and when it was head to head with the other beers in MiniBOS.  I went back and rescored it in the high 30's and noted that aspect on the scoresheet.  Had I scored the second place beer it would have been mid 30's for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2017, 12:30:22 pm »

people seem to have the tendency to think the high scores are "legit" and doubt the accuracy of the low ones.
I've seen a judge pair give a First Round IPA a 49/50.  It was the first one kicked in mini-BOS for overwhelming levels of diacetyl.  But that entrant only knows that a pair of judges loved his/her beer.  It leads to a low score later and an upset entrant "But these other guys said it was 49!"  well, they were wrong.

As ~ 20% or so are blind to Diacetyl, maybe the two judges were both blind?

My threshold is high, I often go on slickness. During the mini-Bos for IPAs at one site, after a couple of the 12 were kicked, I asked does anyone else get the Diacetyl on this one? It was evident to me, but no one had said anything. It was then kicked out of the running.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2017, 01:42:11 pm »
This is my first time entering the NHC having entered numerous other competitions previously. I've gotten my results back from the Seattle region and am pretty happy with the scores. Out of curiosity is it common not to have any comments filled out? This is the only time it is happened and am wondering if that's standard operating procedure due to the size of the competition or whether it was just judges laziness.

Thanks a lot guys.

Offline jvoeltz

• Cellarman
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2017, 01:47:02 pm »
This is my first time entering the NHC having entered numerous other competitions previously. I've gotten my results back from the Seattle region and am pretty happy with the scores. Out of curiosity is it common not to have any comments filled out? This is the only time it is happened and am wondering if that's standard operating procedure due to the size of the competition or whether it was just judges laziness.

Thanks a lot guys.

NHC has gone to the checklist scoring format so judges check boxes rather than write notes.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »

NHC has gone to the checklist scoring format so judges check boxes rather than write notes.
[/quote]

Well that makes me appreciate more the ones that did jot down a comment.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
I always make some comments in addition to the check marks.  Personally I would rather fill out a regular score sheet than a check-box score sheet.

In Tampa a judge scored a beer 50 points Sunday.  Since I was judge director he asked me to come over and try it.  He said he could not find anything to improve it.  I got a sample and it definitely was good, a Flanders.  It went on to win the best of category.  I have never had the nerve to score a beer that high.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »
Pete Bergler (Site Organizer), Tim Leber (Judge Director), Will Fredin (Head Cellarman), and Sean Drew (Head Steward) all did a great job last weekend.

We knocked out a good 1/3 of the flights on Friday night and the rest were finished by ~4pm on Saturday.

it happens all the time that a lower scoring beer can show better when compared side-by-side in Mini-BOS.  Beers that seemed awesome or weaker in isolation often show better balance or other more subtle features that can only be observed side-by-side.  I trust the mini-BOS process.  It really does work.  The best beers float up to the top.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »
Pete Bergler (Site Organizer), Tim Leber (Judge Director), Will Fredin (Head Cellarman), and Sean Drew (Head Steward) all did a great job last weekend.

We knocked out a good 1/3 of the flights on Friday night and the rest were finished by ~4pm on Saturday.

it happens all the time that a lower scoring beer can show better when compared side-by-side in Mini-BOS.  Beers that seemed awesome or weaker in isolation often show better balance or other more subtle features that can only be observed side-by-side.  I trust the mini-BOS process.  It really does work.  The best beers float up to the top.

+1 for sure.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2017, 11:23:19 am »
Some more results have been posted. Seattle, New York and Tampa seem to be up. Not all categories have been uploaded yet, it seems. But a lot of them are up! Anybody get through?

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:30 am »
Some more results have been posted. Seattle, New York and Tampa seem to be up. Not all categories have been uploaded yet, it seems. But a lot of them are up! Anybody get through?

Still waiting on the St. Louis results

Weird they would post NY without all the categories.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:34:28 am by theDarkSide »
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2017, 12:37:01 pm »
Awwww man.... I am waiting on St. Louis too.  Was really hoping all 4 were going to come up today.  They do a good though of turning things around quickly compared to several years ago.  A couple more days won't kill me.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:07 pm »
Awwww man.... I am waiting on St. Louis too.  Was really hoping all 4 were going to come up today.  They do a good though of turning things around quickly compared to several years ago.  A couple more days won't kill me.

Earlier this week when the other status statuses were updated to Verifying Results, St. Louis still wasn't but it updated later that day.  I'm still hoping for a late day arrival today.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2017, 05:05:39 pm »
Good luck to all those being judged in Philly this weekend!