Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr  (Read 12150 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
Has Brülosophy.com ever done anything with this? This question comes up several times a year.

I use Briess and Rahr interchangeably. I have made 100% 2-row pale beers with both and found them both to be good. No side by side comparisons though.

PS. I have never used GW.

It wouldn't matter of they did because it's so subjective.
Lol good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:23 am »
I have been using Briess for the past couple of years, as that is what the LHBS stocks.  While I had issues with Briess in the past (like, 14-15 years ago), I have had no problems with it now converting and/or leaving a nice malt flavor in the IPAs I brew, which is the only style I use it for as a base malt.  I go through a lot more Continental pilsner malt than American pale.

I do miss the MaltEurop that the previous now defunct LHBS kept in stock. I thought it was nearly equal to Golden Promise.

My issues long ago with Briess were more due to the drought that we were experiencing here in the malt growing heartland.  The kernels were real small, and I got horrible efficiency.  At that time I switch to British Columbia malt (Gambrinus) which did not seem so affected by the drought.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
Maybe it was due to the drought, I can see that. I'm going through St.Louis soon. When I do I'm going to pick up some sacks of Cargill. I need to do more research on where these malts come from geographically. I'd love to find/use all domestic malt, especially a pils malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 05:46:48 pm »
I love GW Pale Ale malt (the 3L). There are few applications where I prefer I think they recently changed the name to "Pacific Northwest Pale Ale Malt" from just "Northwest Pale Ale Malt." I am also fond of Gambrinus malts, but the price is a bit higher for me than it is to buy GW. Few places nearby sell Rahr, so I haven't used it much.