Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reinheitsgabot and 'Real Ale'  (Read 12238 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Reinheitsgabot and 'Real Ale'
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:34:28 am »
Denny I think you mean the difference between -ate and -ite, which typically refers to the oxidation state of the non-oxygen component of the anion. "-ites" have a lower oxidation state than "-ates." Thus "ites" can be oxidized into "ates." Nitrites, nitrates, sulfites, sulfates, phosphites, phosphates, etc.

Thanks...I recalled that part.  But I thought there was something similar with "ides".

"Ide" usually refer to non-oxygen anions. Sulfide (S2-), Phosphide (P3-), nitride (N3-). Chemical nomenclature, especially the older names, have many quirks though so it's easy to get confused.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:57:15 am »
The only ides I know of are the ides of March...  Beware.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 11:56:18 am »

:D

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 12:29:46 pm »

Well done!  ;)

And damn, those are just around the corner....

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 12:42:45 pm »
Ok... Looks like potassium and sodiun metabisulphite are ones that have to be labeled if used as a preservative at >10ppm. Per Wikipedia, which we all know is either accurate or not.

Supposedly causes brain damage. So, that explains a lot. Or it doesnt.

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
 If you are wary about sulfites I suggest one not look at any packaging labels on food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:24 pm »
If you are wary about sulfites I suggest one not look at any packaging labels on food

Yup, you should avoid almost all dried fruit if you don't like sulfites.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »

Yup, you should avoid almost all dried fruit if you don't like sulfites.

I guess we shouldn't make too much light of this. It would truly suck to have an acute allergy to sulfites. Take a look at this list of foods that can contain them (although many at very low concentrations, likely):

http://www.sulfites.org/sulfite-foods/

As far as low oxygen brewing is concerned - I'm using it at minimal amounts and I am sure my process is leaky enough that a good amount of that small amount is turning into sulfate by the time I drink the beer annd I know I'm not allergic to sulfites as I regularly consume dried fruit without issue.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:09 pm »
Quote from: dilluh98 link=topic=28750.msg377935#msg377935

As far as low oxygen brewing is concerned - I'm using it at minimal amounts and I am sure my process is leaky enough that a good amount of that small amount is turning into sulfate by the time I drink the beer annd I know I'm not allergic to sulfites as I regularly consume dried fruit without issue.

Yeah, that's my feeling, too. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of mine is getting converted, too. It's a valid concern, though.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:23 pm »
If you have ever drank a macro lager, you have consumed many yeast derived sulfites.  All have a minimum of 10ppm packaged.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:29 pm »
It's just a question. I honestly didn't know if this SMB was the same stuff the government says is killing us.

Tongue in cheek... I'm not sure that -hey, they put it in keystone- is a stand alone argument for me using it. Just sayin 😉

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »
Alcohol? Yes, it's definitely the same stuff the government says is killing us.  It's a toxin for our bodies for sure, and addictive too.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 03:17:03 pm »
Denny I think you mean the difference between -ate and -ite, which typically refers to the oxidation state of the non-oxygen component of the anion. "-ites" have a lower oxidation state than "-ates." Thus "ites" can be oxidized into "ates." Nitrites, nitrates, sulfites, sulfates, phosphites, phosphates, etc.

Thanks...I recalled that part.  But I thought there was something similar with "ides".

"Ide" usually refer to non-oxygen anions. Sulfide (S2-), Phosphide (P3-), nitride (N3-). Chemical nomenclature, especially the older names, have many quirks though so it's easy to get confused.

Thanks!  My chem days are 40 years in the past.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:22 pm »
I found this on BSG website. "SMB Recommended Usage: Dosage varies when used to kill wild bacteria in must, halt fermentation, or preserve finished wines against oxidation. The addition of ΒΌ teaspoon of sodium metabisulfite to 5 gallons contributes approximately 50 ppm of free SO2.

To make a sanitizing rinse for equipment, dissolve 8 teaspoons of sodium metabisulfite into 1 gallon of water. High concentrations of sulfur dioxide gas are irritating and toxic, so use in a well ventilated area. After applying the solution to your equipment, the items must be rinsed with clean, cold water."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
This sounds like some food babe BS to me.