Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long does it take you to brew a beer?  (Read 10190 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: How long does it take you to brew a beer?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:06 pm »
5+ hours for a 5 gallon batch sparge, assuming 60 minute boil which is almost always.
3.5 hours for 2.5 gallon biab.
What is frustrating for me is that I don't have a dedicated brewery so there is a lot of lugging around.
I can't believe people pay to golf for 5 hours. And they don't end up with beer!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:56:18 pm »
Normal 5 gallon batch takes me about 5 hours or so including getting everything out, brewing, and cleaning.  Putting everything away might not happen for another day or so….sometimes longer.  I have a very patient wife.
Mark

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »
For me, a typical 5 gallon batch on the longer end (say an IPA with some whirlpool time) is about 6.5-7.0 hrs total, including about 45 min of prep the night before. I use the BIAB method with recirculaton, and a batch sparge. Simultaneous brewing and clean-up helps to cut down the time.  I wish I had a dedicated brewing space, but just use my kitchen and that slows things down a bit.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 01:58:47 pm »
Probably about 5 hours, but I like to take things at my leisure.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 02:32:56 pm »
6-8 hrs for 10-gal batches although it is overall trending downwards as I eliminate or reduce the bottlenecks.  Parti-gyling can be significantly longer especially if I'm making 3 or 4 distinct beers in the summer.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »
What with running all over the condo gathering all the pieces, 7-8 hours. That's from start to end of cleanup, with store-bought water. And that's way too long IMO.

I haven't been brewing nearly as often as I used to. With school and everything else going on I can't block out an entire day to brew. What makes it worse is the last two days I've set aside to brew I've had some emergency pop up that's put a stop to the brew day.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:15 pm »
It depends...a normal 5.5 gal. batch in one of my coolers is around 4 hours.  BIAB on a stovetop with a 20 min. mash and 20 min. boil is about 1.5 hours.  Pico is about 2.5 hours.  Zymatic is about 4.5-5.  Grainfather is 5-6. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 06:22:53 pm »
4 to 5 hrs from start to clean up. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:22 pm »
5 gallons, all-grain, fly sparge about 5 hours from start to done cleaning. When I do lagers, with 75' mash and 75'-90' boil, it extends to 5.5-6 hours .
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
Very jealous of those able to stay around the 5 hour mark. My camp chef burner must not be very efficient.

Last batch I was up at 4 a.m. Pitched my yeast around 10. Didn't have every item cleaned and put away until around 11:30.

Granted, towards the end there I was putzing around drinking some other batches.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 08:30:15 pm »
If I am focused on what I am doing and organized.... I can be done with a batch, and cleaned up in 4 hours pretty easy.  If I overlap 2 batches, I can brew two in 6 hours.  I have a "brew room" in my basement.... so that really saves on any kind of set up.  I can basically walk down stairs and just start brewing. 

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »
3.5-4.5 hours depending on how organized I am. Biab, batch sparge on stovetop.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 09:21:17 pm »
I'm at 8+, up to 20 gallons, start to put away. Sometimes 9-10 for my IPA w hopstand. I'm never in a rush. I do mostly 90 mash, 1 hour sparge, 90 boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:11 pm »
I usually mill grain, weight hops, measure minerals and acid the night before. With that done, two 6 gallon batches usually takes me about 6 hours. Clean as I go.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 01:20:47 am »
10-gal batch = 7 hrs for a simple beer, up to 9.5 hrs for a long mash/long boil/hop stand/etc., batch sparging, most times mill grist night before

My last 2 brew days I did two 10-gal batches in +10.5 hrs, but milled grist, prepped hops and sanitized fermenters the night before.

That includes set-up, clean-up, put away.

I think like Klickitat Jim I'll start prepping grist, water minerals and hops night before from now on, just to remove a few details on brew day.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:36:58 am by brewsumore »