Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long does it take you to brew a beer?  (Read 10183 times)

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
Re: How long does it take you to brew a beer?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2017, 06:15:42 am »
12 gallon batch currently takes about 6 hours all cleaned up and includes the "victory" beer in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24:51 am »
Usually about 5-6 hours. I typically do a 90 minute mash, 90 minute boil. Longer in the summertime due to warm groundwater running through my IC.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 10:41:15 am »
from start to clean up 5-5.5 hours.
Ralph R.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:37 pm »
If I'm focused on it and have no interruptions, I can finish my brewday (kind of a hybrid between no-sparge and BIAB) in 4 hours. My current routine takes closer to 5 hours, mainly because I have to turn off the heat on my strike water when I take my son to school.

Extract batches take under an hour if there's no whirlpool, otherwise it's in the ballpark of 2 hours.

For 1-gallon extract batches for testing hop varieties, my record is 8 batches in 6 hours.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline docjdy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
Just brewed a Belgian strong golden ale with a 3 step mash. It was about 8 hours start to finish. Just in time for the super bowl.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 01:13:31 pm »
It depends on how you look at it, I'm usually done for the most part within 4 hrs or so like yesterday. Thats with setting up the night before, clean up and even having a mishap at mash in. I have been trying a few things and they have seemed to knock off an hr or more for me, but they are only experiments at this time. But I am usually waiting for the wort to clear in the kettle after chilling or waiting on yeast to hydrate, waiting for my yeast temperature and wort temperature to come closer together before pitching...that sort of thing so I consider myself done before that, but wort isn't always transfered or yeast usually isn't pitched at that point.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »
BIAB no chlll 5.5 gal batch 3 to 4 hours cleaned up start to finish.
Jimmykx250

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:40 pm »
I do 5 gallon batches, using batch sparge...a typical start-to-finish (including clean-up) is around 4.5-5.5 hours depending on how organized I am, how cold my tap water is for chilling, etc. A bit longer if I do a decoction mash.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 03:58:31 pm »
I had to really think about this because I brew mostly small batches but lots of complicated mash schedules. A single infusion on a 1-2 gallon scale can be done under four hours. An average brew day is closer to five hours. If turbid mashing it feels like days.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 09:34:40 pm »
15 gallons or 5 gallons, I'm right around six hours. I have a good system down and know what to do and when. It works for me. 8)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 03:44:13 am »
I use a Grainfather kit and it takes me 6 hrs soup to nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 06:02:03 pm »
I'm in the 6 hour range all together. Except for the timed portions of my brew day, I like to take my time. A plate chiller helps keep my timetable manageable. Im kind of a clean and sanitize freak so I often spend as much time on clean up as I do brewing.  :D
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »
Heineken...21 days...no brew before it's time - This was the their slogan for some time...and I've found it is a good guideline...I rarely ever keg a beer before 21 days...Not that I'm a big Heineken fan...but 21 days seems to work for most brews...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 01:19:08 am »
Typical brewday 3.5 hours. Overnight mash, no sparge, sometimes no vorlauf needed either. Would be quicker if I had a chiller.

Previous day - an hour or so to prepare and heat water, measure grain, dough in.

Also factor in planning recipe, working out water treatment and preparing yeast starter (if you bother), which all add time prior to brewday. Recipe planning usually interesting so not a problem.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 08:17:40 am »
Overnight masher here as well, most of the time anyway.

If I no-sparge I can runoff, boil, chill and be cleaned up in under 3 hours the morning of brew day. That includes clean up.

My two BIGGEST time savers as of late have been the addition of a BREWBAG for my mash cooler which saves a 15 minute varlauf AND shaves about 15 minutes cleanup of the cooler. Combined with no sparge, which saves about 45 minutes to an hour morning of brew day, since I don't have to heat up strike water, than sparge, THAN get the whole mess up to a boil. I just runoff and start boiling.

Process:

Night before I typically boil up roughly two cups of dme into a little over a half gallon of water for my starter. While this cools, I crush my grain and weigh out salts and add to salts to strike water, while the starter is chilling in ice bath in the sink. Once the grain is in the cooler, I mash in @ 155ish and cover the cooler with a heavy coat. I then pitch yeast into starter after shaking the pi$$ out of my starter wort and go to bed.

In the morning I runoff into my kettle, typically with FWH sitting in the kettle. I have it set up so that my burner is within silicone hose distance to my MLT, so All I have to do is pull back on the brew bag and pinch it under the lid, and let loose on the ball valve. I am typically boiling within 30 minutes of this runoff. Boil for an hour and cool using an immersion chiller, which this time of year takes about 10 minutes from flameout since I live in New England and it's cold as heck. I lift my fermenter about 10 inches to get it into my garage ferm chamber and pitch half the starter from the night before. The other half goes back into a re-sanitized mason jar to finish out and get saved for another batch.

So long story short my ACTIVE brew time is about 4 hours. 1ish hours the night before and usually just under 3 hours the next morning. I am usually just finishing cleanup and making breakfast when the girls wake up around 830!

TLDR: Clean as you go, skip the sparge, and get EVERYTHING ready the night before. PLAN your brewday!!!