Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Used Barrels  (Read 2173 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Used Barrels
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
Afternoon,

I was wondering what is the best way to get barrels used for bourbon, whiskey, etc? Is there some website that specializes in selling them? I know they aren't cheap but I am interested in maybe getting one for some homebrew.

In my case I am looking for a tequila barrel. So if you happen to be selling one I would love to buy it.  ;D

Thanks for any info.
-Donde

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Used Barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »
Tequila is consumed so young, do they even put it in barrels?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:15 pm »

They sure do.  Only white tequila is not aged in barrels.  The difference between reposado and anejo is time in a barrel.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:34:21 pm »

They sure do.  Only white tequila is not aged in barrels.  The difference between reposado and anejo is time in a barrel.
OK, I'll agree except that the difference between reposado and anejo is that anejo is not worth drinking.   ???

Boy!  Did we derail this thread!  Sorry!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:38:19 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:31:50 am »
Afternoon,

I was wondering what is the best way to get barrels used for bourbon, whiskey, etc? Is there some website that specializes in selling them? I know they aren't cheap but I am interested in maybe getting one for some homebrew.

In my case I am looking for a tequila barrel. So if you happen to be selling one I would love to buy it.  ;D

Thanks for any info.

What size? There is an ad for 8 gallon Woodinville Whiskey barrels on the forum banner right now. These are awesome barrels. I've used a couple of them.

There are brokers for 50+ gallon barrels. If you PM me I can look to find my contact info on Monday.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:58 am »
Afternoon,

Thanks for any info.

What size? There is an ad for 8 gallon Woodinville Whiskey barrels on the forum banner right now. These are awesome barrels. I've used a couple of them.

There are brokers for 50+ gallon barrels. If you PM me I can look to find my contact info on Monday.

8 gallons would be fine since I am just starting out. I didn't see any banner ads but if you could post a link that would be great.

Also no worries about derailing the thread a bit with tequila talk. I didn't know the exact versions that were barreled. Learn something everyday  ;D
-Donde

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
A few whiskey distilleries sell 5-15 gallon barrels directly off their website (Woodinville, Corsair). Some of the homebrew shops sell whiskey barrels from distilleries including Balcones (TX), Ranger Creek (TX), Dad's Hat (PA). I believe Farmhouse Brewing Supply gets various other types of barrels and advertises them on HBT. A lot of craft distilleries with these smaller barrels will sell direct if you contact them.

Tequila barrels are going to be tough to find. Tequila is only made in Mexico and mostly in full size barrels. Tequila is usually aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels so you could always pick up a whiskey barrel, run a beer through it, add some tequila to it and get pretty close to an actual tequila barrel.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:02 pm »
A few whiskey distilleries sell 5-15 gallon barrels directly off their website (Woodinville, Corsair). Some of the homebrew shops sell whiskey barrels from distilleries including Balcones (TX), Ranger Creek (TX), Dad's Hat (PA). I believe Farmhouse Brewing Supply gets various other types of barrels and advertises them on HBT. A lot of craft distilleries with these smaller barrels will sell direct if you contact them.

Tequila barrels are going to be tough to find. Tequila is only made in Mexico and mostly in full size barrels. Tequila is usually aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels so you could always pick up a whiskey barrel, run a beer through it, add some tequila to it and get pretty close to an actual tequila barrel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My current plan is to get a smaller oak barrel and just age my own tequila in it for several months. But I might also give your plan a try.....would probably save me some time.
-Donde