Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new 32 oz. growler  (Read 3123 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My new 32 oz. growler
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »
I have 2 64 oz. growlers but I rarely fill them because they are too big unless I have company.

I have been buying 32 oz. crowlers (cans filled at the brewery). But, recently the bartender suggested that I should buy a 32 oz. growler since they are $4 and the crowlers cost $1 and are not reusable.

So, I am the very proud owner of  this new 32 oz. growler. I am a bit surprised it was only $4.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:51:23 pm by alestateyall »

Offline BrewBama

Re: My new 32 oz. growler
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »
Nice score.

I was in for a Rebellion and Pizza tonight. Nice crowd.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:27:09 pm »
That pizza is great.

Gotta admit the Rebellion is great too, but, I usually look for what is new on the menu. Plus, Rebellion reminds me of a bad decision my ancestors made (civil war).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:26 pm »
Tommy and BrewBama - I envy you guys! There's a chance I might be headed through Bama this summer to show my son the campus in Tuscaloosa. A detour would be in order. Love to see Yellowhammer and have a beer or three with you guys (and that Keith guy ;D ). I'll let ya know.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:25 pm »
My wish right now is for it to be 75° out, and to have that growler filled with his kaffir lime beer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Tommy and BrewBama - I envy you guys! There's a chance I might be headed through Bama this summer to show my son the campus in Tuscaloosa. A detour would be in order. Love to see Yellowhammer and have a beer or three with you guys (and that Keith guy ;D ). I'll let ya know.
If you are coming from Indiana to UofA-Tuscaloosa you will be coming down IH-65. Huntsville is about 25 miles down IH-565 from IH-65 which is hardly out of the way.

Plus, if your son wants to study a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) field please stop by UAH (University of Alabama Huntsville). I will give you a tour. We don't have football, but, we have better science and engineering. I lead the cybersecurity programs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »
If you are coming from Indiana to UofA-Tuscaloosa you will be coming down IH-65. Huntsville is about 25 miles down IH-565 from IH-65 which is hardly out of the way.

Plus, if your son wants to study a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) field please stop by UAH (University of Alabama Huntsville). I will give you a tour. We don't have football, but, we have better science and engineering. I lead the cybersecurity programs.

Awesome info. He's an engineering student to be who could care less about football (though his Dad is a fan). If he can get into Purdue on a full ride, he likely would go there. But they give out few full rides - awesome engineering program obviously. But Alabama's is obviously no slouch. He's only a freshman but fact finding is a good thing as well as gauging his happiness with a given place. His grades are stellar, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We may very well take you up on that.Thanks for the info!
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

My new 32 oz. growler
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »

Awesome info. He's an engineering student to be who could care less about football (though his Dad is a fan). If he can get into Purdue on a full ride, he likely would go there. But they give out few full rides - awesome engineering program obviously. But Alabama's is obviously no slouch. He's only a freshman but fact finding is a good thing as well as gauging his happiness with a given place. His grades are stellar, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We may very well take you up on that.Thanks for the info!
Bama and Purdue are great schools. Engineering at Bama is kind of emerging. I know professors at both Purdue and Bama and those faculty I know are good at both schools. But obviously Purdue ranks really high.

UAH is a nice school because of where we are (across the street from Redstone Arsenal). Redstone is home to lots of US Army R&D (Missiles, Unmanned aircraft, unmanned vehicles, software engineering for many DOD weapon systems), NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, and many more commands and agencies ...   Wehner Von Braun and his team of German scientists and engineers started the USA's rocket programs here.
All that puts UAH in a technology zone rivaled only by a few places in the USA (Silicon Valley, Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, Seattle). At UAH we work closely with the local agencies and Army commands and therefore our students get to do so also.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »

Bama and Purdue are great schools. Engineering at Bama is kind of emerging. I know professors at both Purdue and Bama and those faculty I know are good at both schools. But obviously Purdue ranks really high.

UAH is a nice school because of where we are (across the street from Redstone Arsenal). Redstone is home to lots of US Army R&D (Missiles, Unmanned aircraft, unmanned vehicles, software engineering for many DOD weapon systems), NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, and many more commands and agencies ...   Wehner Von Braun and his team of German scientists and engineers started the USA's rocket programs here.
All that puts UAH in a technology zone rivaled only by a few places in the USA (Silicon Valley, Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, Seattle). At UAH we work closely with the local agencies and Army commands and therefore our students get to do so also.

Right. I knew most of that about the covergence of science and technology there, but didn't realize the engineering program was so strong. Kinda makes sense it would be. Thanks!
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:38 am »
That pizza is great.

Gotta admit the Rebellion is great too, but, I usually look for what is new on the menu. Plus, Rebellion reminds me of a bad decision my ancestors made (civil war).

There was a huge part of me that resisted that name for that very reason. And I'm a yankee so there's that.  Look at it as I'm paying homage to the South's fightin' spirit. ;)

32 oz growlers are the perfect size. Two pints! If you are going to drink more than that you need a draft system.

UAH is a great engineering school. I'm proud to say I know and am friends with several professors and staff members, including Tommy. Hoosier if you are in Alabama and don't stop by for a visit I'm going to be really pissed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
That pizza is great.

There was a huge part of me that resisted that name for that very reason. And I'm a yankee so there's that.  Look at it as I'm paying homage to the South's fightin' spirit. ;)

32 oz growlers are the perfect size. Two pints! If you are going to drink more than that you need a draft system.

UAH is a great engineering school. I'm proud to say I know and am friends with several professors and staff members, including Tommy. Hoosier if you are in Alabama and don't stop by for a visit I'm going to be really pissed.

Keith, that's the whole point of the detour. I'd love to meet up and see your place, try your beers. If my son ends up more interested in UAH (which makes sense for him) , then no detour needed. I hope it works out this summer! 
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:50:15 pm »
You guys be sure to let me know when the meeting will take place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »
Derail here but, it's crazy how many people are doing these crowlers nowadays. I've never seen one in my area, but heard of them. Then at Best of Craft last month, I saw that probably 20% of the entries were in crowlers. (No, I didn't see them till after the judging was over) Brought a few leftovers home with me.

I can see the pros and cons of it. If I were at a brewery and sampled the lineup, I think a few crowlers of my favorites would be far ideal to big growlers. Crowlers have to last longer, but once you open it you are committed.

Offline tommymorris

My new 32 oz. growler
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »
Crowlers have to last longer, but once you open it you are committed.
That was the key for me. I want to be able to close the container when putting it back in the fridge. In practice, though, if you are drinking the whole thing in one setting not closing is not a big deal. Also, I generally buy a growler to drink that day or the next tops.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 08:45:40 pm »
For tourists or traveling though, crowler makes a lot of sense. But regulars just down the road... growlers all the way