Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OMG....I just made good beer!!!  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
OMG....I just made good beer!!!
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:30 am »
My second batch since giving up the hobby 25 years ago.  It was a Northern Brewer kit, their Gaarden Hoe extract kit.  I did two weeks in secondary and kegged it.  It's about where I want it after 3 days in the fridge with carbonation.  It's good!!!!  I mean, I really like it!!!  I don't mean to sound so amazed, but its the first I've made that, to me, doesn't taste like a "homebrew."   I just got back from a meeting in Atlanta; we struck up a conversation about homebrewing and three guys in my work group all gave it up because they said they never got beer as good as what they can buy.  I just want to thank everyone for the various help they've given me on this forum.  Damn now I might go drink a pint or two and it's just past noon : ) 

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: OMG....I just made good beer!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:46:45 am »
Great to hear! 

It is those kinds of victories that make all the headaches worth it.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:56:44 am »
Stupid question though...my carbonation is good and it's in the fridge.  I serve at 10psi.  Do I just leave it hooked up to CO2 at 10psi???   

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:01:09 am »
The pressure will set the amount of carbonation that is in there, so if you are at the level you want after 3 days at 10psi, I expect that you will need to lower the pressure to maybe 5-7psi to keep it at that level.  There are lots of carbonation charts online to say what pressure at a certain temp you need to get a certain number of volumes. 

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:17:49 am »
The pressure will set the amount of carbonation that is in there, so if you are at the level you want after 3 days at 10psi, I expect that you will need to lower the pressure to maybe 5-7psi to keep it at that level.  There are lots of carbonation charts online to say what pressure at a certain temp you need to get a certain number of volumes.

I was three days at 20 psi to get to where I'm at, at about 35 degrees.  I purged the head space then lowered to 10psi which seems to pour best.  I thought if I lowered it the carbonation would "seep" back out of the beer and it would become less carbonated. 

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:19:32 am »
You are correct.  It sounds like it is probably fine at 10.  If it were me, I would probably just leave it there and if you see the carbonation creeping up or down with time, adjust accordingly. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:18 am »
FWIW what I do is to use a temp/pressure chart to find the volumes of CO2 I want in my beer at the temp I like.  12 psi-ish @ 40F gives me around 2.5 volumes of CO2 which is good for most styles. So what I do is to take 10 or 12 feet of beer line and cut it down in increments of 6 " until I get the pour I want at the 12 psi. It's an easy way to get the right pour at your proper carbing pressure.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:35:30 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »
FWIW what I do is to use a temp/pressure chart to find the volumes of CO2 I want in my beer at the temp I like.  12 psi-ish @ 40F gives me around 2.5 volumes of CO2 which is good for most styles. So what I do is to take 10 or 12 feet of beer line and cut it down in increments of 6 " until I get the pour I want at the 12 psi. It's an easy way to get the right pour at your proper carbing pressure.

Thank you.  The place I got the keg and faucet from gave me a length of tubing with non-removable clamps.  I'l have to cut those off and experiment I guess.  I imagine screw on clamps are more practical.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
Congrats! The more you learn and the more you hone your craft the better your beer will be! Yes, you can make beer every bit as good at home as what you can buy, and maybe even better!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 06:08:04 pm »

Thank you.  The place I got the keg and faucet from gave me a length of tubing with non-removable clamps.  I'l have to cut those off and experiment I guess.  I imagine screw on clamps are more practical.

I also carb at 12 psi and about 40 degrees.  My serving lines are only about 6' long, but I use the flow restrictors in my dip tubes.  You take the internal piece out of epoxy mixing nozzles, and they're a perfect fit into the dip tube.  I put two in each keg, and it really helps to slow down the flow without having a ton of line in your fridge. 

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:40 am »
Congrats! The more you learn and the more you hone your craft the better your beer will be! Yes, you can make beer every bit as good at home as what you can buy, and maybe even better!

The great thing about home brewing is being able to adjust your recipes as you continue to brew them to suit your precise preferences.  I often like what I brew better than what I buy; not because I'm the better brewer, but because the level of hops or esters or maybe spices in what I bought just didn't suit my taste. 

Southern Indiana, where I live, is not a world class beer market.  Choices for some of the less popular styles are  scarce or non-existent at the local stores, but I can brew my own.

And, you can brew styles that may be out of season.  If you like winter warmers, for instance, they may be hard to find in July at your local package or grocery store.

One other great reason to brew is the pride you feel when your friends compliment your beer.

Brew on!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:48:34 pm »
Keep it up!  I have found that my circle of influence has grown as I brewed and got better.  I still get what I consider a klinker now and then (recipe or process was not clicking for me), but I am more frequently praised for the beers these days.  It makes it all worthwhile.  And winning a couple times at my club only competition against national champs hasn't t hurt the confidence, either.  It shows to me that anyone can make a really good beer that will hold up to just about any commercial beer.  The poor pros actually have to sell their beer, after all, so many of them aim toward the middle of the road as a matter of economics.  Which is understandable.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:48 am »
Congrats! I know I remember that feeling. I brewed extract for years, and I never really hit the mark I was looking for. Once I went all grain it got much worse for the first batch or two, but than got WAY better. Now aside from BAD RECIPES that I MAKE UP ON THE FLY.... (shameless self loathing).... I make solid beer over and over and it feels AMAZING. I'm really glad you stuck with the hobby!!

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 06:21:29 pm »
Thank you!!!

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Congrats, I love that feeling of being satisfied with and enjoying your fruits of labor.