Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Red Ale (Caraaroma and Carared)?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Imperial Red Ale (Caraaroma and Carared)?
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:07:47 pm »
One of the next beers I'm thinking about is an Imperial Red Ale of sorts. I was thinking of some of my go to malts such as Crystal 40 or 60, Crystal 120 or Special B for the recipe when I came across some talk about Caraaroma and Carared. I have never used them, I'm reading up on them and looking over the forum but how should I use these for the most part, say compared to Crystal malts? Carared says it can impart notes of caramel, honey and biscuit? Caraaroma says to impart notes of dried fruit, nuts and dark caramel. These characteristics sound pretty good and what I'm looking to add to the beer. I'm just looking to try some new malts and do something different than what I would normally would. Do they compare to or are versions of other malts out there by other maltsters or are they their own thing?

Offline johnzbesko

• 1st Kit
Re: Imperial Red Ale (Caraaroma and Carared)?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:33 pm »
Of all the different crystal malts I have tried to produce an intensely red beer, Carared has produced the best red.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:25:55 pm »
That sounds like a great combo for imperial red.  I really like carared and am starting to experiment with caraaroma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »
To me that malt ( carared) imparts sweet toffee flavors.  Not my favorite flavor in Irish Red, American Amber's it's alright.  Crystal 80, 120 and UK roasted barley are the only specialty malts in my reds.

No experience with Cara aroma.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:32 pm »
I'd like to brew a similar beer with carared and cara aroma soon. Sounds great.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
To me that malt ( carared) imparts sweet toffee flavors.  Not my favorite flavor in Irish Red, American Amber's it's alright.  Crystal 80, 120 and UK roasted barley are the only specialty malts in my reds.

No experience with Cara aroma.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Yup it's straight toffee. 

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:05:32 pm »
One of the next beers I'm thinking about is an Imperial Red Ale of sorts. I was thinking of some of my go to malts such as Crystal 40 or 60, Crystal 120 or Special B for the recipe when I came across some talk about Caraaroma and Carared. I have never used them, I'm reading up on them and looking over the forum but how should I use these for the most part, say compared to Crystal malts? Carared says it can impart notes of caramel, honey and biscuit? Caraaroma says to impart notes of dried fruit, nuts and dark caramel. These characteristics sound pretty good and what I'm looking to add to the beer. I'm just looking to try some new malts and do something different than what I would normally would. Do they compare to or are versions of other malts out there by other maltsters or are they their own thing?

Weyerman CaraRed is close to Briess C-20 and CaraAroma is close to Baird's dark crystal if that helps you.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:08:50 pm »
I like CaraAroma in anything I've used it in.

Jeff B