Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Club Discussion Topics  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Kyle

• 1st Kit
Homebrew Club Discussion Topics
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »
Hey everyone!
I'm starting a home brew club at my university, and as I'm finishing all the paperwork, I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for presentations to teach some general knowledge about beer, the brewing process, equipment etc. I'm using some podcasts and lectures from NHC and GABF, as well as info from the internet as a blueprint. So if you anyone has any good places to find info, or any topics I should focus on for people just starting to get into home brewing, I'd really appreciate the help.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Homebrew Club Discussion Topics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »
Hi Kyle,
I would recommend that you figure out who your regulars will be and what their brewing level is. Are they beginners who have done a few kits? If so, focus on the basics. Are they advanced? If so, maybe talk about water chemistry. Then go from there.
Or, found out from people attending what they want to learn more about.
Hope this helps and welcome!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:49:42 pm »
Beer
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:50:00 am »
I agree the skill level of brewers will make a big difference in the topics you discuss. With a new club you might want to keep the first few meetings light on substance to get to know your potential members. I'd guess with college students most of the members will have minimal experience and probably a lot of extract brewing on basic systems but there are some young homebrewers who come out of homes where parents brewed and they already know a lot about the hobby.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kyle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:29 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was planning on keeping the first few meetings pretty simple at the start, and just going through basic terminology and a simplistic overview of the process. My plan to keep the more advanced people who show up engaged was an idea I got from Doc in the BN Archives. He suggested assigning people a topic and have them give a presentation to the club. This way they can learn more about something they are interested in, or know little about, and it gets more people involved. Also, for what its worth, while I have put fliers and other advertisements about the club all over campus, I mainly targeted the chemistry, biology, and engineering buildings. I figured these people would be most interested in learning about beer, and would understand it better as well.
Thanks again everybody!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »
Low oxygen brewing. Bring the first aid kit. ;)

On a serious note. My current club is more about sharing and feedback. I do wish we did have more discussions on intermediate and advanced processes. Based on some of the samples and our crumby local water, a discussion on water is overdue.

Offline CADMANDO18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:51:58 pm »
I'm planning on starting my own little home brew group out in Oregon City. I'm just going to pick a subject to talk about, bring some good information about that subject for discussion, and provide my own experience to the mix. It really does invite a more diverse skill atmosphere when you leave the subject broad. I think my first subject will be on cleaning, sanitation, sterilization and methods. No matter what skill level, cleaning is a good subject! So many people I know clean their brew equipment with the wrong stuff!

Good luck!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:32:07 am »
Don't leave out the artists, chefs, etc.  Great beer comes from the intersection of creativity and science. The best brewers in our club are a Hay Broker, a graphic designer and a cabinetmaker.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
Amen.  I would say there are learner's and knower's no matter what your background or training.  It is better to stay a learner.  Many big advancements in science came from mistakes.  I am a pharmacist and we found great medications that way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal