Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast for Bohemian Dark Lager  (Read 2161 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Dry Yeast for Bohemian Dark Lager
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »
Hey guys, which dry yeast would you recommend for a Bohemian Dark Lager? My instinct is to just go with W-34/70, as it is reliable and pretty good with malt-forward lagers, but I have read positive remarks about about S-189 and I know Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager purports to be an authentic Bohemian Lager strain (and it is available at my LHBS).

MY favorite beer in Prague last summer (by far) was Kozel Cerny. And, pretty consistently, I found the fresh dark lagers of Prague (especially the unpasteurized "tank beer") to be superior to both the other Czech beer offerings (pale lagers of varying strengths and amateurish American-style IPA offshoots, with few exceptions) and to other regional dark lagers I have had.

Having done some research, I am determined to brew something similar, though I rarely brew lagers. I know I can get liquid forms of some of the legitimate Czech yeast strains, but I would prefer to use a dry yeast, as I find building a giant starter annoying.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry Yeast for Bohemian Dark Lager
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
I've done something similar with S189 and really liked the results
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:20 pm »
No experience, but it sounds like the Mangrove Jack's is the way to go, given your post
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline PauaBoy926

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:38 pm »
Hey Skyler. Did you brew that Dark Lager?? How did it turn out. I am recently back from Prague and have similar plans after drinking that beer -- Kozel Cerny. so good. I want that in my keg!! Or as close as I can get too it.