Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager- Vienna lager  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
First lager- Vienna lager
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:57:15 am »
Have my first lager planned for this Friday. How does this recipe look

9.5 # Vienna 91%
0.5 # carared 5%
3 oz melanoidin 3%
2 oz chocolate wheat 1%

34/70 dry yeast(is one pack ok, I have 2 available)

24 Ibu
11 srm

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: First lager- Vienna lager
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:36 am »
It looks very reasonable to me.  As for yeast, your best bet is using both sachets, but you'd probably end up fine with a single sachet as well.

What hops are you using?

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:45:50 am »
It looks very reasonable to me.  As for yeast, your best bet is using both sachets, but you'd probably end up fine with a single sachet as well.

What hops are you using?

My hood for bittering
And 0.5 oz @15 minutes

Not 100% sure if I want to do the 15 minute haven't had many Vienna lagers

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:01 am »

What hops are you using?

My hood for bittering
And 0.5 oz @15 minutes

I think 1/2 oz at 15 minutes would be good.

I use 1/2 oz of Sterling at 10 and like my results.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:53:35 am »

What hops are you using?

My hood for bittering
And 0.5 oz @15 minutes

I think 1/2 oz at 15 minutes would be good.

I use 1/2 oz of Sterling at 10 and like my results.

I'd agree with this. I think MtHood is a good option and the 15 minute 1/2oz is also reasonable.  I think your recipe looks solid - from my perspective of course.  Cheers!

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:40:05 am »
I'm looking forward to this beer. I'm going to try the lager schedule outlined on brulosophy. 50-55 till 50% attenuated then warm up till fermention/clean up is done. If all goes well I see my self doing a lot more lager brewing and will probably kick myself for avoiding them for 65 batches

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:13 am »
I'm looking forward to this beer. I'm going to try the lager schedule outlined on brulosophy. 50-55 till 50% attenuated then warm up till fermention/clean up is done. If all goes well I see my self doing a lot more lager brewing and will probably kick myself for avoiding them for 65 batches

I have had very good success with this method when using 34/70. I leave my chest freezer set at 50F, bump it up 2F per day starting on day 5 until I get to 62F where I leave it for a couple of days, confirm FG, then cold crash and lager.

I bet your beer turns out delicious!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:57:46 pm »
Sterling, Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Crystal, and Ultra are pretty much interchangeable, and all are delicious.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:03 pm »
Sterling, Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Crystal, and Ultra are pretty much interchangeable, and all are delicious.
In a recipe like this, definitely.

To the OP, your recipe looks tasty - and it should be ready in plenty of time for Cinco de Mayo. I'm brewing my first Vienna lager in a couple of weeks myself, but I'm shooting for something closer to Negra Modelo. One of my brewing goals for this year is trying to keep something seasonal on tap at the appropriate times, and Vienna fits the bill for the spring.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »
In a recipe like this, definitely.

To the OP, your recipe looks tasty - and it should be ready in plenty of time for Cinco de Mayo. I'm brewing my first Vienna lager in a couple of weeks myself, but I'm shooting for something closer to Negra Modelo. One of my brewing goals for this year is trying to keep something seasonal on tap at the appropriate times, and Vienna fits the bill for the spring.

My Vienna is modelo inspired and probably one of the most drinkable beers I brew.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 06:05:23 pm »
I took a gravity after 3 days to check if I was at 50% attenuation. I was at 60% so I've been ramping 5 degrees a day. I was suprised how not bad the gravity sample tasted I can definetly recognize the 34/70 character from other beers I've had. I'm super excited I'm officially a lager brewer. Can't wait to tap this one, I'll post back and let y'all  know how it turned out wether anyone cares or not. 8)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:01 pm »
I took a gravity after 3 days to check if I was at 50% attenuation. I was at 60% so I've been ramping 5 degrees a day. I was suprised how not bad the gravity sample tasted I can definetly recognize the 34/70 character from other beers I've had. I'm super excited I'm officially a lager brewer. Can't wait to tap this one, I'll post back and let y'all  know how it turned out wether anyone cares or not. 8)

Please do.  I always look forward to how other peoples beers pan out for them.... I just wish I could get a sample to drink alongside the review :D