Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Quickly to Raise Temperature After Cold Crashing Before Dry Hopping?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline rfsilver

• 1st Kit
I recently brewed an American Pale Ale that was cold crashed in the primary at 38F and fined with gelatin.

Yesterday I racked the beer to a secondary to dry hop it. I let the beer warm up to 56F over the course of about 24 hours on its own. I would like to dry hop closer to 68F for a couple of days before dropping it back down for another brief cold crash at 38F for a few days before kegging.

Since I'm on a bit of a tight schedule, I was wondering whether there is any harm to warming the beer up to 68F quickly (over the next few hours) using my FermWrap or would that stress any remaining yeast in suspension? Would I be better off slowly ramping up the temp over the course of the next couple of days to my dry hop temp?

Thanks!

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How Quickly to Raise Temperature After Cold Crashing Before Dry Hopping?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:10 am »
I really don't think it will hurt. That said, I don't really think you need to raise the temp to dry hop. I do it cold all the time while cold crashing, before cold crashing, after cold crashing, in the fermenter, in the keg... you see what I'm getting at? Until I'm convinced it has a measurable difference in the final taste of the beer, I would just do what is convenient for your schedule. By warning it up, all I would see is then having to cool it down again to carb and drink it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:08 am »
+1.  It probably wouldn't hurt if done right, but I wouldn't use a fermwrap to warm the beer up just to dry hop @ 68. You're upwards of 60F now - I'd save time and dry hop as is. I've dry hopped at temps from room temp down to 40F. At the cold end it takes longer to extract the oils than at room temp, but aside from that, I don't see any magical dry hop temp. It's just quicker at room temp. $0.02  .
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:43 am »
I'm with Chris.  Why are you wanting to warm the beer up and then cold crashing?  Sounds like unnecessary work.

Offline rfsilver

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:56:18 am »
Thanks for the help everyone!

My only thinking on warming it up is to get more extraction of oils over a shorter period of time, but I think I'll just I'll just dry hop at the ambient temp of my basement (56F) for 3 days or so and throw it into the keezer to cold crash over the weekend before kegging it up.

Offline paulderlunas

• 1st Kit
  • Its just a yeast infection...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone!

My only thinking on warming it up is to get more extraction of oils over a shorter period of time, but I think I'll just I'll just dry hop at the ambient temp of my basement (56F) for 3 days or so and throw it into the keezer to cold crash over the weekend before kegging it up.

Probably your best bet. I was a brewer for Sam Adams and Free Will Brewing, at Sam's we warm dry hopped most of the heavy hopped style (Rebels, Nitro IPAs). If it was a malt forward style we would dry hop after crashing and they would stay nice in chilling!

Really up to you! should be good either way! Cheers!
On Tap: Semi Sweet Mead: 15.5%ABV
          : Cinnamon Honey Cider 12.5% ABV
Fermentation: Amber Pom Lacto Sour

Next up: Strawberry Wheat and Coco Milk Stout

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:01 am »
I swear I taste a difference in dry hopping cold and at room temp, I get grassier flavors when I dh at lower temps.