Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?  (Read 6471 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:36:43 am »
Fellow homebrewers,
I started this thread not to promote any candidates but to help coordinate the raising of issues/ topics/ actions that can make our hobby better.

You may have seen by now that for good or bad, I am very science-oriented. Cannot help it :-)

What can help me personally and I am sure it would help many other homebrewers is for the GC to facilitate our access to research publications on brewing.
Ideally of course, would be free access to a given journal for AHA members, but more realistically, I think a student membership for AHA members (that are not pro brewers) can be negotiated with most journals.
Examples are :
MBAA technical quarterly
Brauwelt international

There you go.. What do you fellow homebrewers wish to see done that is not part of the commitments of current candidates?
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:35 am »
I like the idea of student equivalency for those journals sounds great

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:17 am »
OOOO, you may even get me to join for that!  :) ;D

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:05 am »
Almost all publishers allow researchers to give copies of their published papers to other researchers. You should join researchgate. Many authors upload their papers to researchgate. If the paper you want is not already uploaded, you can request it from the author.  The author may or may not provide it.

Another way to get papers is from your local library. Your municipal library likely doesn't subscribe to the journal you want, but, they can get papers through interlibrary loan (they are likely linked up with a local university).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:41:50 am by alestateyall »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:21 am »
Almost all publishers allow researchers to give copies of their published papers to other researchers. You should join researchgate. Many authors upload their papers to researchgate. If the paper you want is not already uploaded, you You can request it from the author.  The author may or may not provide it.

Another way to get papers is from your local library. Your municipal library likely doesn't subscribe to the journal you want, but, they can get papers through interlibrary loan (they are likely linked up with a local university).
I am in Research gate and I am a published author. I have no control over my publications. I requested many articles this way and no answer yet. It has not been working for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:53 am »
Almost all publishers allow researchers to give copies of their published papers to other researchers. You should join researchgate. Many authors upload their papers to researchgate. If the paper you want is not already uploaded, you You can request it from the author.  The author may or may not provide it.

I am in Research gate and I am a published author. I have no control over my publications. I requested many articles this way and no answer yet. It has not been working for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I share mine.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:21 am »
Almost all publishers allow researchers to give copies of their published papers to other researchers. You should join researchgate. Many authors upload their papers to researchgate. If the paper you want is not already uploaded, you can request it from the author.  The author may or may not provide it.

Happy to see your local library does this. That worked when I was a grad student but not in my local libraries.  Good for you 😀

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:21 am »
Communication
just a brief example, last year at this time we were talking about the name change from NHC to Homebrew Con.
It was stated by a GC member now up for re-election that "we wanted to freshen the convention perception"

I said "I'd love to hear what said perception is, and what "freshen" means, specifically"

since to my knowledge no one has said anything, I'd still like to know the answer to that one, by the way. 
Why are we doing what we are doing, and what do we have in store for the future?  These are things I feel like AHA members care about.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:08:53 am »

Happy to see your local library does this. That worked when I was a grad student but not in my local libraries.  Good for you
I haven't tried the municipal library approach. I have heard it works. I can get papers through my university library and research gate.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:44 am »
Fellow homebrewers,
I started this thread not to promote any candidates but to help coordinate the raising of issues/ topics/ actions that can make our hobby better.

You may have seen by now that for good or bad, I am very science-oriented. Cannot help it :-)

What can help me personally and I am sure it would help many other homebrewers is for the GC to facilitate our access to research publications on brewing.
Ideally of course, would be free access to a given journal for AHA members, but more realistically, I think a student membership for AHA members (that are not pro brewers) can be negotiated with most journals.
Examples are :
MBAA technical quarterly
Brauwelt international

There you go.. What do you fellow homebrewers wish to see done that is not part of the commitments of current candidates?

I'm not sure you understand the role of the Governing Committee. While you have a cool idea, it's outside the scope of what we do.   
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:07 am »
Communication
just a brief example, last year at this time we were talking about the name change from NHC to Homebrew Con.
It was stated by a GC member now up for re-election that "we wanted to freshen the convention perception"

I said "I'd love to hear what said perception is, and what "freshen" means, specifically"

since to my knowledge no one has said anything, I'd still like to know the answer to that one, by the way. 
Why are we doing what we are doing, and what do we have in store for the future?  These are things I feel like AHA members care about.

Frankly, we have no idea.  The AHA decided it was time to change the name and image.  Our role is to help them facilitate that.  We had no input on the change other than to express our opinions after the fact.  If you go to HomebrewCon, go to the AHA members meeting.  Things like this get discussed there and members can ask questions.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:55 am »
Communication

Frankly, we have no idea.  The AHA decided it was time to change the name and image.  Our role is to help them facilitate that.  We had no input on the change other than to express our opinions after the fact.  If you go to HomebrewCon, go to the AHA members meeting.  Things like this get discussed there and members can ask questions.

Sorry to have to correct you Denny, but the name change came about during discussion at the 2015 GC meeting in San Diego--the one you missed due to term limits.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:29 am »
Sorry to have to correct you Denny, but the name change came about during discussion at the 2015 GC meeting in San Diego--the one you missed due to term limits.

Don't be sorry, Gary...I welcome the correction!  Now I can blame the GC for that abomination!  ;)  Actually, I think I've finally adjusted to the name.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:16:29 am »
Now I can blame the GC for that abomination!

Oh come on! It's just a name. The important thing is the people and spirit that the conference represents.

Since I live in a city that hosts one of the largest ComiCon events, I guess I'm OK with the new HomebrewCon moniker. I'm used to it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:34:47 am »
I thought it was adopted in part to distinguish the conference from the competition, since both were referred to as "NHC" in common parlance among my group.  Changes of these types don't bother me a bit - now if it was just undertaken to sell more appealing t-shirts, that is a whole 'nother thing😀
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"