Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
I should also note that most scholarly journals are a bit more *technical* than some of the publications mentioned above, which are really more like trade publications or newsletters in terms of their tone, content, and review process. For example, Brauwelt International recently published a piece called "Israel Microbrewery received s***storm for selling beer from West Bank." Not the sort of thing you'd find in Nature or The Lancet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:35 pm »
My wish list for the new governing committee members is that they find someone who can Make Homebrewing Great Again......and can see past the FAKE HOMEBREWING NEWS like oxygen is bad for wort. Sad.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:55 pm »
I should also note that most scholarly journals are a bit more *technical* than some of the publications mentioned above, which are really more like trade publications or newsletters in terms of their tone, content, and review process. For example, Brauwelt International recently published a piece called "Israel Microbrewery received s***storm for selling beer from West Bank." Not the sort of thing you'd find in Nature or The Lancet.

I do not disagree but there is still quite a bit of original research.  Dissertations and thesis from Europe brewing schools are mostly published in Brauwelt. MBAA also has interesting studies. The treasure is the access to old numbers electronically. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »

I do not disagree but there is still quite a bit of original research.  Dissertations and thesis from Europe brewing schools are mostly published in Brauwelt. MBAA also has interesting studies. The treasure is the access to old numbers electronically. 

I really wonder what percentage of our members would be interested in this.  Wish there was a good way to find out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline idyllbeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 02:25:30 pm »
Maybe with Survey Monkey??
He is a wise man who invented beer.
- Plato

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
Maybe with Survey Monkey??
+1

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 02:56:08 pm »
I don't know if a survey would accurately capture interest. I'm not implying that many members are dumb, but these articles are very technical. A sample article would be needed so respondents can make an informed choice. If no sample is given the question might as well be "do you want more brewing related article?"

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »
I don't know if a survey would accurately capture interest. I'm not implying that many members are dumb, but these articles are very technical. A sample article would be needed so respondents can make an informed choice. If no sample is given the question might as well be "do you want more brewing related article?"
As a draft
Would you value the possibility of having a discounted / student membership to the Master Brewers Association $42 annually (vs $142 for pro brewers). See www.mbaa.com for benefits.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:43 pm »

I agree, Stevie.  On this forum, I think interest will be inflated.  Statistics the AHA has make me question how many members would really be interested in this.  Now, I know people here are gonna say "lots of people would be interested" but that's a reflection of the bias of this forum.  In general, more and more homebrewers are interested in keeping it simple.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:19 pm »

I agree, Stevie.  On this forum, I think interest will be inflated.  Statistics the AHA has make me question how many members would really be interested in this.  Now, I know people here are gonna say "lots of people would be interested" but that's a reflection of the bias of this forum.  In general, more and more homebrewers are interested in keeping it simple.

I might speak for a majority of homebrewers (not in this forum but in real life) when I say:

I'd be interested in hearing a summary of multiple independent studies on method(s) or change(s) in process(es) that would be virtually guaranteed to improve the quality of my homebrews that would be so easy that a caveman could do it and that the cost for me to implement would be less than $40.  If anyone can put all that together, I'll listen.  Otherwise, I won't take much time reading detailed scientific studies that may or may not benefit me as a homebrewer.

With handfuls of exceptions, I do believe the average Joe Homebrewer would agree most with something like the above.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »
 Let's keep in mind that the effort  required to do this is minimal, a couple of phone calls, and there is no extra cost for the member that does not want to use the benefit. The survey and its tabulation will take more time.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:56 pm »

Plus there's the self selectivity of responses. If you are into it you are motivated to respond. If not, unless it would mean increased fees or less services, why bother. Also, what does an individual member have to lose?: " Do you think you would regularly post in a new topic called 'Homebrew Weddings'?", Sure, why the hell not?
I'm not saying this (access to journals) isn't a good idea worth looking into, just agreeing that surveys where participation is optional are essentially worthless.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:06 am »
I didn't mean to say the AHA couldn't.  I said the GC role in it would be limited to nil.

Given the express charge to GC members in the bylaws I find this both highly surprising and concerning.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
I didn't mean to say the AHA couldn't.  I said the GC role in it would be limited to nil.

Given the express charge to GC members in the bylaws I find this both highly surprising and concerning.

Would you explain why?  We can certainly bring it up to the AHA and explain why (if) it's a good idea, but that's about it.

www.dennybrew.com

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »

Would you explain why?  We can certainly bring it up to the AHA and explain why (if) it's a good idea, but that's about it.
From the AHA website:
"The members of the Governing Committee are elected by the members of the AHA and charged with shaping the policy and activities on their behalf."
I can see how someone would think that the GC members would be conduit that brought ideas like this from rank and file members like us on the forum here to the AHA.
It would be interesting to see a chart of organization for the AHA. What I'm hearing from the GC members and some wording in the by laws is that the GC and the AHA are two entities rather than the GC being part of the AHA. It explains that the GC members say things along the lines of "well we could talk to the AHA...". I had previously thought that the GC kind of was the AHA, in a sense.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.