Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsh  (Read 5213 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kolsh
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 07:30:57 am »
Water profile is slightly harder than a pils correct? Cl/so4 ~1.2
I have the starter mashing, I am thinking a .9 pitch rate  Pitching temp 58F then slow rise to 65F? Is that the general consensus of 2565?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:36:59 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 07:43:00 am »
I have the starter mashing, I am thinking a .9 pitch rate  Pitching temp 58F then slow rise to 65F? Is that the general consensus of 2565?

Harder as in Bicarb? I would never add bicarb to water personally,it makes things weird. All my beers except for APA, get the exact same water.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:05 am »

Harder as in Bicarb? I would never add bicarb to water personally,it makes things weird. All my beers except for APA, get the exact same water.
I was thinking ~50-75mg/l  vs the usual 25-50mg/l for most pale beers.

I am approaching water profile as unique as a grist.  Each style I think deserves it's own unique balance.  That's just my approach for the moment.  I will say I am much happier with my beers, and they are getting more praise at bottle shares and more awards.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Big Monk

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 08:03:21 am »

I was thinking ~50-75mg/l  vs the usual 25-50mg/l for most pale beers.

I am approaching water profile as unique as a grist.  Each style I think deserves it's own unique balance.  That's just my approach for the moment.  I will say I am much happier with my beers, and they are getting more praise at bottle shares and more awards.

An interesting idea, and sometimes just a practical one, could be using a malt with a higher DI pH for beers that require you to mash them at a higher pH value.

This way you don't have to add any HCO3 to the water. You can start with low/no alkalinity   

The Beerery

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:05 am »
I have found though trial and error after figuring out that in the professional literature I read assumes zero hardness. In my trials I MUCH preferred beer brewed using water with no hardness. YMMV, IMO, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
The malt  recipe guidelines for kolsch are 95/5 (pils/carahell) or 85/15 (pils/Vienna) according to German brewing literature.  Just an FYI.

Thanks I have not come across that, or I have forgotten it. It may have been in Warner's book but it has been a long time since I read that.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 08:58:22 am »
Carahell is hard for me to find, any notable substitutions?

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
I have found though trial and error after figuring out that in the professional literature I read assumes zero hardness. In my trials I MUCH preferred beer brewed using water with no hardness. YMMV, IMO, etc etc.

Have to ask, since hardness is the Ca and Mg content, you are saying none of those? Or are you referring to the alkalinity?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Big Monk

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 09:06:33 am »

Have to ask, since hardness is the Ca and Mg content, you are saying none of those? Or are you referring to the alkalinity?

Alkalinity. I make the same flub occasionally as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:28 am »

Alkalinity. I make the same flub occasionally as well.

Agreed that alkalinity should be no to low.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:55 am »
The malt  recipe guidelines for kolsch are 95/5 (pils/carahell) or 85/15 (pils/Vienna) according to German brewing literature.  Just an FYI.

Thanks I have not come across that, or I have forgotten it. It may have been in Warner's book but it has been a long time since I read that.

Kunze and Narziss.

10 is the color in ebc of the finished beer, well everything is in ebc for malt colors.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:17:36 am by The Beerery »

The Beerery

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 09:18:51 am »
Carahell is hard for me to find, any notable substitutions?

Best, and schill, and avangard should all have ~10-13 srm malts for substitution.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:24 pm »

My 021 Kolsch. I don't get too wrapped up on the historical malt side. Just Pils and Vienna. I may try Carahell sometime. My water is fairly hard here. I have found I like my Kolsch water best with a 60/40 blend with RO.

Jeff B

The Beerery

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 06:42:31 pm »

My 021 Kolsch. I don't get too wrapped up on the historical malt side. Just Pils and Vienna. I may try Carahell sometime. My water is fairly hard here. I have found I like my Kolsch water best with a 60/40 blend with RO.

It's definitely not historical. That recipe guideline I posted was from late 2015. Just so folks know, of course not that anyone has to follow it... but it is current.

Cheers

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »
Historical may not have been correct. I didn't realize Kunze had recently passed. Until I read on him tonight, I had thought Kunze was far passed. Duh! 

Jeff B