Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many packets of dry yeast  (Read 5322 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: How many packets of dry yeast
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
I'm in the process currently of trying to convert 95% of all my recipes to use an equivalent dry yeast.  This year I'll be splitting almost every batch to learn more about the dry Belgian and Weizen yeasts and comparing against liquid yeasts to see how much it might matter.  If I can get away with dry yeast, I'll be using only dry for the rest of my life probably.

Not wanting to high jack the thread...but have you checked out Mangrove Jacks line of dry yeasts? They really have a nice line up. I have used 2 yeasts in the past with great success and have a Cream Ale going now with their California Lager. Seems they have tried to put something out there for just about anything you want to brew.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »
I've not tried any of the Mangrove Jack ones yet.  So far sticking with Danstar/Lallemand and Fermentis only.  Eventually I'll try MJ's as well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:03 pm »
Nonsense... dry yeast lasts for friggin 10 years in refrigeration, I swear to St. Bernardus.  That's one of dry yeast's hugest advantages over liquid yeast.
Two years ago I decided to get back into brewing after a 38 year layoff.  I wanted to recreate what my college roommate and I brewed those many years ago.  Hop flavored extract, corn sugar and dry Vierka Lager yeast.  I actually found some Vierka online from a HBS in St Louis.  No date on it but the back said "product of West Germany.  German reunification was in what, 1991?  Had it been refrigerated all those years?  Unlikely.  It took 32 days at 52-54F to reach FG but it made beer!
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:01 pm »
Thats why I use it, plus the fact that I'm never exactly sure when I'm brewing to be messing with starters and all that on most brews.

I'm in the process currently of trying to convert 95% of all my recipes to use an equivalent dry yeast.  This year I'll be splitting almost every batch to learn more about the dry Belgian and Weizen yeasts and comparing against liquid yeasts to see how much it might matter.  If I can get away with dry yeast, I'll be using only dry for the rest of my life probably.
I am really interested in what you learn and I'll pitch in with what I find.  There is so little info on dry yeast and their liquid equivalents other than w-34/70 = WY2124.  I'm going to try MJ M31 Belgian Tripple soon.  I'll report on it when ready.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:09 pm »
Maybe a dry yeast super thread can be started? Or we could do multiple threads based on manufacturer?

After my recent experience, I am very interested in trying more mangrove jack strains. Their lineup and descriptions seems pretty excellent
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:31:04 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

How many packets of dry yeast
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41:47 am »
Thats why I use it, plus the fact that I'm never exactly sure when I'm brewing to be messing with starters and all that on most brews.

+ 1

I'd use one sachet for that beer.

I have been using only dry yeast for a while now so I've been looking at dry yeast equivalents. The member sacchromyces sent me this:

"The dry yeast strains with known pedigrees are: 

US-05 = BRY-96 Ballantine Beer (a.k.a. "Chico," Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001), 

Bry-97 = Ballantine Ale.

S-04 = Whitbread "B" (a.k.a. Wyeast 1098, Whites WLP007), 

W34/70 =  W34/70 (a.k.a. Wyeast 2124, White Labs WLP830),

WB06 = W68 (Wyeast 3068, WLP300),

S-189 = Samiclaus (a.k.a. White Labs WLP885)"

...and I have this paper from 2005 that I use as a guide but for some reason cannot attach here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:55:00 am by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 05:21:18 am »
How do we know with no volume numbers, other than assuming 5 gallons?

See my post. ;)

For the record, doing cell counts on 60 bbl batches. I have played around with the mrmalty.com calculator and it is pretty amazing how close it gets. There is some gray area with determining how thick the slurry is and how much non yeast material is present, but just with eye balling and guessing that calculator get's close enough that you can feel pretty comfortable when using fresh slurry, so I feel it probably works just as well with dry yeast. I have not compared the estimation of viability though as all the slurries I harvested and tested were at least 90% viable.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:00 am »
Maybe a dry yeast super thread can be started? Or we could do multiple threads based on manufacturer?

After my recent experience, I am very interested in trying more mangrove jack strains. Their lineup and descriptions seems pretty excellent

this would be awesome imo. I've got the mangrove jack weizen and wit yeast sitting in my fridge that I hope to use soon.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:08 am »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:30 am »
I subscribe to Craft Beer & Brewing and I recently got an email from the publisher, Haydn Strauss, asking if I was happy with the magazine and what I would like to see in future issues.  My first request was for a chart with dry and liquid yeast equivalents and he seemed to be open to the idea so maybe we'll get some more answers.  One information source is Brewing Classic Styles.  For almost every recipe, Zainasheff does give a dry yeast to use and even how many grams of that dry yeast to use.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:36:08 am by case thrower »
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:53:55 am »
I subscribe to Craft Beer & Brewing and I recently got an email from the publisher, Haydn Strauss, asking if I was happy with the magazine and what I would like to see in future issues.  My first request was for a chart with dry and liquid yeast equivalents and he seemed to be open to the idea so maybe we'll get some more answers.  One information source is Brewing Classic Styles.  For almost every recipe, Zainasheff does give a dry yeast to use and even how many grams of that dry yeast to use.

But IRC it's pretty much always the same yeasts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:21 am »

But IRC it's pretty much always the same yeasts.

At least it's a start.  BCS is now 10 years old.  I wasn't brewing 10 years ago, so I don't which yeasts were and were't available then but I believe there are more now than there were way back when   :).
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:36 am »
Or the date on the yeast packets. I have had an online brew supply send me expired dry yeast...bastads.

That happened to me too a couple of years ago. I pitched a fit and they replaced it with in date packs.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

How many packets of dry yeast
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 03:16:32 pm »

I agree. It is a great resource that I use often ...but he only uses a handful of dry yeasts: S-23 for every lager in the book, US-05 and S-04 most often for ales, WB-06, Nottingham, T-58, and Brewferm Blanche a bit as what I'll call  "specialty yeasts". 

In some instances, as I read I'd think there is a better dry yeast option for the application. For instance 34/70 or S-189 for some lagers and S-33 for some British Ales. 

Of course, there could have been other "specialty yeasts" come onto the market since the book was written that could be used as well such as London ESB, Abbaye, Be-256, Belle Saison, K-97, etc. I don't know which came first, the book or the yeast option.

With all the option on the market now, I believe nearly every style can be brewed well with dry yeast excluding sours (Brett, Lacto).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:26:13 pm by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:06 pm »
Bry-97 = Ballantine Ale

=Wyeast 1272
Which is WLP051, but in this case the dry is a slower starter than the liquid equivalents, if that matters to you.

Belle Saison is likely equivalent to WY3711, although I haven't heard confirmation. Tastes and performs pretty similar to me.

K97 is equivalent to WY1007 from what I understand as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer