Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Was told by LHBS to NOT force carbonate. What would you do??  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Was told by LHBS to NOT force carbonate. What would you do??
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 01:36:22 pm »
Jester King is also an exclusively sour brewery. I'm sure bugs have something to do with then perceived complexity gained from bottle conditioning.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 02:30:37 pm »
Jester King is also an exclusively sour brewery. I'm sure bugs have something to do with then perceived complexity gained from bottle conditioning.

+1.

The Beerery

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:58 pm »

I don't think its about gaining, its about preserving and not losing.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2017, 03:45:32 pm »

Maybe, but I doubt they are anything near what you consider as low O2. Barrels, foeders, and open vats galore. By the time it's in the package, that ship may have sailed.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:35 pm »

Maybe, but I doubt they are anything near what you consider as low O2. Barrels, foeders, and open vats galore. By the time it's in the package, that ship may have sailed.
Many Belgian beers, in my experience traveling through the country, if offered on draft or bottle conditioned, have more complexity when bottle conditioned. The triple fermentation the Belgians always talk about.

Jester King? That is a great place to tour. Very rustic for an American brewery. Lower on technology, higher on the artisanal side. Wood everywhere.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2017, 05:03:42 pm »
For sure in the top 10 things I miss from Texas.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:02 pm »
Sooooo....I kegged my beer on everyone's recommendation. The beer, after three days at 15psi WAS JUST AWESOME.  I mean, the beer is so great!!! I have two questions, pardon my total ignorance.

1. It has the carbonation I like at 15psi in the 37 degree fridge.  If I serve at 10psi, which I prefer, after a day or two it's less carbonated.  Is the NORMAL procedure to store at your preferred "force carb" level, then purge, and lower to serving pressure and pour every time you serve then raise to the carb pressure you like??  It seems like a pain. Yes, I checked for leaks with a spray bottle. My local HBS is totally useless. He said, "Do what works, don't think."  Thanks dude. 

2.  The folks here were helpful regarding oxygen exposure. I purged the headspace about 10 times after filling.  But somehow the beer is less silky, less full, less smooth, less creamy than the first several days.  Is this what you're talking about, oxidation if it mixes with air?  It's still great but it's different.  It is definitely less pleasant than it was, but still nice. I'm trying to figure out this whole carbonation level thing as I think that has a lot to do with it.  It has been in keg one week today if that helps. 

Thank you.

The Beerery

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »

2.  The folks here were helpful regarding oxygen exposure. I purged the headspace about 10 times after filling.  But somehow the beer is less silky, less full, less smooth, less creamy than the first several days.  Is this what you're talking about, oxidation if it mixes with air?  It's still great but it's different.  It is definitely less pleasant than it was, but still nice. I'm trying to figure out this whole carbonation level thing as I think that has a lot to do with it.  It has been in keg one week today if that helps. 

Thank you.

Thats exactly right. Hey it was your first time.. Gotta start some where!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 07:11:52 pm »
You want to serve and hold at the same pressure. If your lines are not able to pour at the pressure, you can dial it down to push.